OTA Guide Wrong

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fmcomputer, Dec 31, 2019.

1. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    Dish Channel 27.0 CBS witch is correct
    DISH Channel 27.1 Should be The OTA version of 27.0 CBS but is listed as ABC
    Who is responsible for the listings for OTA Guide

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The problem is that CBS WKBN "27.1" is a guest on ABC WYTV "33.1" transmitter. Both stations are transmitting on the same physical channel (31).
    DISH sees the physical channel and both stations using ".1" virtual address, but places the host (ABC) EPG on both channels.

3. Feb 1, 2020 #3 of 25
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have an H3 and a Joey 2.0. For over a year now the guide data on 34-1 KJTV in Lubbock TX has been wrong.

It should be the same as the guide data for 34-0, instead it is the same as 34-2 which is KJTV's news channel, not their main OTA channel 34-1 which is the main channel and the FOX network feed.

Of course this means that I cannot record the Super Bowl tomorrow on 34-1 (OTA) so I will record it on 34-0.

If someone from Dish is monitoring this thread, please look into why this station's main channel 34-1 is getting the wrong data for the guide.

4. Feb 1, 2020 #4 of 25
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Same here. The wrong guides on KATU-2-ABC/KOIN-6-CBS/KGW-8-NBC/KOPB-10-PBS No guide for KPTV-12-FOX, or KPDX-49-MYTV. This is Portland OR. The supplied guides are for other stations, none in my market. This OTA guide has been messed up for a couple of years. My TV only has the guide for the current program and next program. I have a Fire Stick, so a few months ago I added a ReCast, and the 2 week guide/DVR is free, and the guide is totally accurate for the OTA translators here, including all sub channels and the 500GB HHD built in and room to add another 3tb HDD, if needed, The $130 I spend on the dual tuner ReCast is great. I finally have a correct guide, DVR, so I don't depend on the OTA guide in my vip211k. If it gets fixed, fine. But if not, I have a good dual tuner with the Recast to record anything OTA .permanently.

5. Feb 2, 2020 #5 of 25
    fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    I still have the same problem as you. I have contacted Dish once week for over 2 months to no avail. I have also contacted my local carrier WKBN but no solution. Yesterday I remove the OTA adapter and reset my hopper, but did nothing. Somebody fix this problem !!!!

6. Feb 2, 2020 #6 of 25
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I’ve noticed on my OTA input in the Hopper 3, it only shows the channel name, not any guide info. I’m in the Nashville TN DMA, It’s WSMV-NBC.

7. Feb 3, 2020 #7 of 25
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    It was explained on this list sometime back about where Dish gets the OTA guide from. Apparently it is not from the station its self. My Recast gets the 2 week guide via the station, so it is always up to date. I don't think Dish really cares that much about the OTA guides, so who knows if it will ever be updated? Also a lot of channels have no guide info, even though the station does send it out. Where Dish gets the info, is the problem, not the station.

8. Feb 3, 2020 #8 of 25
    fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    They care enough to sell an adapter so you can interface an OTA into a Hopper. I would hope they would care enough to post the correct description for the station. The station programming is correct it's just the description is wrong.

Michael P likes this.
  9. Feb 3, 2020 #9 of 25
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Direcrly OTA or downloaded online? In my area the OTA guide transmitted leaves much to be desired (the much being content).

Some issues can be blamed on how DISH handles the data. The way they match EPG to a feed is critical and in markets where two stations share the same transmitter or stations are retransmitted via translators there can be problems.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Even with OTA adapters, Dish receivers still get their guide info via 3rd party. And that gets transmited down via satellite. As James said - the process is not perfect. Some DMAs are better than others...

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    A year ago, the regular nets ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/FOX were all accurate. Now none are, they have other station guides on there. A few diginets are correct METV/Get TV, etc, but most of the guide is useless. I don't see why Dish cannot get the free guide from the stations? The ReCast gets the 2 week guide right off the information broadcast by the station.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are you sure that Recast is using OTA transmitted data and not an Internet feed?

As stated before, DISH would not be able to use the ATSC OTA transmitted guide unless the receiver periodically tuned to each station and buffered the guide (interrupting live viewing on a single tuner) or stations cooperated and transmitted each other's guides on every station in the market (technically possible but I have not seen it done). Internet or satellite delivery does not require use of the OTA tuner to get a guide.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    In my experiance - the OTA guide usually goes anywhere from 3-4 days to a max of 7 days. 2 Weeks would mean an internet guide source.

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The TV stations around here (Portland) claim their guide goes out 2 weeks, but again I am not 100% of where all sources come from. However, the Recast has the 2 week accurate guide for free.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I've got a Channelmaster OTA DVR that goes out more then 3-7 days - but I KNOW it is getting it from Rovi, as an internet source guide.

16. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Maybe the ReCast gets the guide from Rovi too. I was told it got it from the station, but maybe that isn't correct? One thing I do notice that it is very accurate. Dish should get their guide from Rovi then. It must be a free service as there are no fees on the Recast.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The ultimate source would be the station. Only the station would know their schedule. But what happens after they turn their schedule over to the several EPG companies varies. Show descriptions and program descriptions vary between the services. Plenty of steps where errors can be introduced.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Our OTA Guide on the vip211k receiver, shows KATU-ABC with a PBS schedule, KOIN-CBS with a different PBS schedule, KGW-NBC with a Fox schedule, KOPB-PBS with an ION schedule, KPTV-FOX no guide, and KPDX-MYTV, no guide. The sub channels are correct, the ones they have guides for. This has been going on for over a year, before the repacking of the channels. Interesting, out of the 6 Portland stations, only 2 changed channels, KATU and KOIN. The rest never changed. I finally gave up and bought the Recast and again it is very accurate. It has the 500GB HHD and dual tuner, so I can easily record everything, but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If I remember correctly you are watching a translator (not picking up the stations directly from their main transmitters)?

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, but the guide on the translators used to be accurate. They have not changed in frequency. But where ever the Recast gets their guides, what I get on the translators do correspond exactly to what I get on the guide. At least that source in correct.