OTA input on swm8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by terrelliott, Oct 13, 2008.

1. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    Okay, I tried several different variations of ota using the input on the SWM8 and can't get but 1 or 2 channels to come through. Anyone else had any better luck? I ended up diplexing after the SWM output with splitter/combiners at both ends. I don't have the model numbers off-hand, but they are Radio Shack combiner/splitters with a 40-2050 mhz rating.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've had total success using the direct OTA input to the SWM8 from the output of an inline (low power) amp from my outside OTA antenna.

I do not diplex the output, rather, the SWM8 OTA is coupled with the single wire output overall, thus requiring only de-coupling at the HR20-700 (or other) box end.

My signal levels are as solid as they were with direct OTA feeds via a Diplexer connection to the HD DVR's.

From the early days when I first did OTA connections and testing with an SMW5 (a year ago), I clearly recall that there were distinct different results depending on which diplexers/combiners one uses - some were not very doo and signficantly reduced signals.

There is a thread/post out there (perhaps you can find it via via searching) regarding the actual results of splitters, diplexers, etc. That's what led me to my Skywalker splitters in the first place, and they have performed exteremely well. I also got the recommended Channelmaster diplexer/combiner set that was rated best. If I find it, I'll send over a link.

beyond that, I can't help you much more.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    If it is working with an external diplexer at the SWM but not the internal OTA input port instead of a diplexer, it is most likely because of the signal strengths.

The loss on the OTA input port is much more than diplexing externally which results in very little loss.

4. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
  5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for the link, I was looking for it the other day and could not find it!

I picked up some Holland DPD2 Diplexers to use a little bit ago, I hope they end up being decent. They seem well made and to have a good spec, but are not listed on the comparison.

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's what we're here for...help for our fellow CE'ers... :)

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The Holland DPD2 diplexers are also dish approved for use with the DP44 so I think they should be fine with the SWM as they are somewhat similar technologies.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not sure about that...it depends on the frequency support, and more important, the signal loss.

If you look at the PDF listing in that thread, you'll see that there are some major differences between devices used, many of which have a large signal loss result.

I took the easy way out, and used the highest-rated units. Having now used them for over a year, I know THEY work well.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Ya, would be interested in the loss numbers for the DPD2 in comparison to those others listed.

I know they are right on for the frequency (they are 40-XXX for OTA instead of 5-XXX which tends to cause issues with the SWM units control signal).

I will report back my findings though, hopefully by the end of this week if the SL3s comes this week ;)

10. MasterChef

MasterChef Godfather

Mar 31, 2008
    According to the one DirecTV SWM training doc linked in other posts the OTA input only diplexes the antenna input to the Legacy ports - not to the SWM ports.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not all that surprised that a training doc would surface which is wrong...there are several others that show it does, and more important - it definitely does output a diplexed OTA signal from the SWM8 ports - I have 2 HD DVRs operating right now with OTA functioning at this minute.

To that point...some of the early documentation on the SWM's was wrong altogether...I remember some of the early SWM5 documents were full of errors. Eventually, corrected ones surfaced.

12. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    That's what I am beginning to suspect. I appreciate everyones input on this and will try again this weekend.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    The information in that training document referenced in plain wrong about OTA.

I'd love to see a copy so that I can send it to my internal contact.

I have 2 HR20-700's with SWM8 OTA outputs operating right now on OTA channels.

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Actually it is the exact opposite from what I have heard. I know it diplexes in on the SWM outputs (1 and 2) and I dont think (not 100% sure) it diplexes at all on the legacy ports.

15. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    For my part, I tried the OTA input vs diplexing the antenna input after the SWM PI module. Diplexing definitely won the battle. Barely got anything using the OTA input. The system itself is working fine so far. I'm using the RS splitters, both 2 and 4-way and they are working fine despite being rated 40-2150mHz.

16. Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    I would like to keep my OTA amp pwr supply inside the house (SMW8 is outside), use the OTA port and use single wire output to the house where I would then split the signal to the DTV tuners, OTA and FM. Is this possible? A couple of folks have said they do it but I don't understand how the SWM power inserter and OTA pwr supply can co-exist. A little help pls?

17. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I wish I could offer any type of input for the OTA stuff, but I haven't had/played with OTA for over 20 years. :( Sorry fellas.

18. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Its uses definitly are diminished with satellite locals ;)

Only reason I use it is for a backup/subchannels on my main TV and for radio on my receivers. I do have a few other TVs without satellite that are hooked up to OTA, but they barely ever get used.

19. MasterChef

MasterChef Godfather

Mar 31, 2008
    The link to the training document I referred to was posted here.

20. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    Yep, first line of document page 19. 8 channel ota input is for legacy ports only. That's what it says.:confused: