1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Install Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by xplosivo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1 of 22
    xplosivo

xplosivo Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    So I finally decided to take the plunge and connect my OTA antenna to my HR-20 100s. It has not gone well at all. :)

Some background: it is a new RCA powered HD antenna. I had it connected to my Samsung HDTV's ATSC tuner for the last couple of days and it worked great. I picked up all of the local HD channels I was supposed to get. However, when I connected to the Antenna input on the HR-20, I get nothing.

I connected the antenna, ran the "sat & ant" setup for the Antenna, entering my zip (27606), letting it scan, etc. The box found the list of channels that should be available to me and I clicked "done".

However, nothing at all is coming in. When I run the signal meter, not a single channel is receiving anything at all. I ran the info test and it says the OTA tuners are "OK, signal at 0%".

What is going on here? Am I doing something wrong? Also, what is the OTA tuner #2? There is only one connection on the back.

Sorry if all of this is covered somewhere, I swear I looked! :)

(btw, the folks at DTV were completely NOT helpful with this topic.)

**UPDATE** See 2 posts down for my rant.

2. Feb 3, 2009 #2 of 22
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The two ota tuners are fed from the single antenna input on the back of the DVR. The HR20 tends to be fairly sensitive to signal level and multipath (reflected signals, what produces ghosting in analog tv). Minor adjustments of your antenna position might help you. You might need a better/bigger/ or outdoor antenna.

3. Feb 3, 2009 #3 of 22
    xplosivo

xplosivo Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Well, I just spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Dan (ID# 256893) from the protection plan tech service group.

I am so angry right now that there is every chance that I will be canceling my service in the morning.

I have NEVER been treated so disrespectfully in my entire life! I pay $150/mo to these people (including the service plan) and I expect them to at the bare minimum to be polite. Dan apparently doesn't feel that is his job. He started the conversation by telling me what they were not going to do. He then educated me on all of the following:

1. When I connected the *SINGLE* coax cable to the back of the HR-20 to connect my OTA antenna, I voided the warranty on the box.

2. If at any time, I have connected or disconnected any of the cables from the back of the unit myself, I have voided the warranty on the box.

3. The only time the service plan warranty is in effect is if the changes were performed by a DTV technician. "Dan, does this mean that if I connected my ethernet cable to the back of the unit to start using OnDemand services and it didn't work right away, I wouldn't be covered? That's correct. You didn't have a technician make the connection, so you have voided the warranty on the box.

4. If you purchased a new TV and decided to switch your connection from component video inputs to HDMI and it didn't work, it would not be covered by the service plan. Since you decided to make these connections yourself and didn't call a DTV technician to come to your house to plug in an HDMI cable, you have voided the warranty on your box.

Is it wrong to think that this is nuts? I can see if I was out fiddling with the dish or with the innards of the box that it would void the warranty, but how on Earth can that be the case with me simply making standard connections?? All I did was plug the antenna into the coax input on the back. And surely the ATSC tuner in the DTV box isn't so sensitive that it gets ZERO signal when another ATSC tuner right beside it (the antenna didn't move) is pulling in consistent 95%+?

I simply don't get how you are ever supposed to know if a connection works or not if you aren't allowed to use it. He told me that if the antenna connection had been working, but then stopped, it would be covered. That is insane logic to me and completely counter to everything else he was saying!!?!?

I am so incredibly frustrated right now. Does anyone have any exec email addresses?? I really need to vent right now.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #4 of 22
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    HR20-100's have several antenna jacks on the back, 2 for satellite, 1 for off air and one for RF remotes.

5. Feb 3, 2009 #5 of 22
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Sounds like the tech rep was having a bad day. It's not that I have called and had long discussions with DirecTV but I have had a few and not once has anything about me connecting or disconnecting cables ever come up. Last fall I went through a recall of my H20 and an upgrade of my H10 and in both cases DirecTV just shipped me the new receivers. Obviously I was going to be hooking them up myself and not once was there any mention of voiding anything because of self install. They hardly offered to send a tech out for either unit, more of a "do you need help?" question and I said no both times. End of discussion. Yep, the tech rep was having a very bad day.

6. Feb 3, 2009 #6 of 22
    Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    That's just so wrong on so many levels.

According to Dan 256893 reasoning, when I had my floors refinished, I needed to have D* disconnect and reconnect my cables,

When SWMBO decides she wants (me) to "Move" the entertainment center to the other side of the room I needed to have D* disconnect and reconnect my cables. (and then move it back because "it really doesn't look right":eek2:)

I can run my ethernet cable from the modem in the basement thru the house, in the walls, and terminate it with a nice wall plate (then SWMBO wants to "move"it) I guess I need D* to unplug and plug it back in x2.

Yeah, I can see the installers having the time and willingness to do that without question. Of course SWMBO will have to wait 3 weeks to see that the entrainment center "just doesn't looks right" in the new spot to have it moved back.

RIGHT!!!! :nono2:

7. Feb 3, 2009 #7 of 22
    wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    How many receivers do you have? Do you have another one with an OTA input you can try? I realize you had your antenna working on the tuner on your TV. I have found the DirecTV tuners are not able to pull in as strong of a signal as the internal tuners on my tvs.

As far as the CSR goes......go over Dan's head. Call DirecTV back. Tell them the OTA tuner is not working, and request a replacement. He is an idiot. I have never had a D* technician hook up the connections on any of my boxes, even when they bring them. (When they are on the roof, I install the box myself, or have it all prewired up to the spot it's going to go) No technician has ever complained or told me my warranty was voided. I have also had boxes shipped to me, and hooked them up myself. The CSR that sent me the box didn't tell me the warranty would be voided if I connected myself, in fact they encouraged it. I also have the protection plan....

Good luck!

8. Feb 3, 2009 #8 of 22
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This needs a "call back" to DirecTV and have them review the recording of this call. This IS NOT what DirecTV wants from their CSRs.
    I had "a bad one" and called back. They were very interested it the call and had the [new] rep pull the recording for his supervisor to review.
    I know you're "pissed", but try to calm down and explain what happened.

9. Feb 3, 2009 #9 of 22
    xplosivo

xplosivo Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I have calmed down a little since last night.

Frankly, at this point, it isn't even about the box. It is about the way the CSR spoke to me and the seemingly obvious incorrect information that he was giving me. It's just baffling to me how something like this happens.

I think I will call and have them review the call. I have to say that I maintained my cool all the way until the very very end, after he had put me on hold 3 random times and finally just kept talking over me. I might have ended the call with a "F off" comment. :)

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Don't worry.

Dan won't be working for DirecTV for very long. Lots of people aren't cut out for CSR duty, but manage to make it through training and on to the phones before their "personality" comes out.

11. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Was the CSR on DRUGS

12. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

My sympathy for your conversation with the CSR. It sounds as though your weren't treated properly.

Let's see if we can solve your OTA problem. To do so, please answer the following questions:

1. Is the line from your OTA antenna separate from the lines from the satellite or are your trying to diplex the signal?

2. Are you sure that the OTA cable is plugged into the right port on the back of the IRD?

3. Is your dish a 5 LNB Slimline Dish?

4. Is there a multi-switch involved.

5. Are your BBCs installed, if so where?

Please provide these answers and we can help you solve this problem.

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    after hooking up ota did you reauthorize receiver? I had to do this on 2 units.

14. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I would have hung up on "clueless Dan" after this first comment, then called back to get another CSR! :nono2:

15. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

Guess the OP either solved his issue(s) or got over it or whatever. No posts by OP since 2/3.

Hope some of our suggestions helped!

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    He says he has a powered antenna, could that be part of the problem? I wonder if its inside or outside?

17. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
  18. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    Ah - Hilda of Rumpole of the Bailey?

19. xplosivo

xplosivo Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Just to close off the technical side of this issue, I was able to get the antenna working. I had to completely disconnect everything and hook it all back up. For whatever reason, this seemed to solve the problem. Totally baffling.

That being said, it works great now and I am getting around 25 or so OTA locals. Very nice.

Still no resolution on the CSR issue. Someone from D* called me on Thursday afternoon in response to my email, but they were calling more for the tech issue, which I had already resolved. I ended up getting transferred to someone else (in retention I believe) to discuss the other issue. He claimed that there was someone higher up that was going to be calling me on that issue and that it was in the system to get a call. As of today I still haven't heard from anyone.

20. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    I'm glad you have it up and running. This has been an informative therad for me, since I am fixin' to do the same thing - once the roof and rafters are repaired from a tree that decided to get warm in my house right after New Years . . .