1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA locals changing from UHF to VHF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by egould, Jan 25, 2009.

1. egould

egould AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    One of our local channels is switching from a UHF to a VHF frequency. I have an HR20 and recieve my locals OTA. When my local makes the changeover, do I need to do anything so that my DVR will continue to tune to that station? Thanks for any help.

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    No. The Guide data should be updated to reflect the change and the whole process should be transparent to you.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    However... if you have a UHF-only antenna, it might work ok for a VHF-hi station (7-13), but almost certainly won't work for a VHF-lo (2-6) station.

4. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    I'm surfing and today I found this website.
    http://www.iptv.org/iowajournal/story.cfm/432

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Indeed;

Since according to the records, it looks like your local NBC outlet WLBZ is going to one of the 30 or so oddball full-power stations nationwide to use the VHF-lo band for DTV after they transition.

In WLBZ’s case, from their current UHF channel 25 to their former analog channel 2. Therefore, make sure your antenna arrangement has a means to receive the VHF-lo band channels 2-6.

6. egould

egould AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks to all of you. I have a collection of antennas from my various attempts to maximize my reception. One of them is equipped to receive VHF lo. In any event, we are scheduled to have locals in HD through D* sometime this quarter, so that should resolve everything anyway.

7. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    I live in N.Y.C., in an apartment of the first floor. CBS (Channel 2), NBC (Channel 4) & FOX (Channel 5), are all in the so called lower VHF band & they have been there my entire life (I'm now 50). Analog OTA was a mess & now digital OTA can indeed be that much more of a bigger pain you know where.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Only if you have no subcarriers, and only watch the major networks.:)

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    "Sub-channels" actually, there is a technical distinction... :D

10. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Ah, sub channels. So, that's what boba was referring to. :)

11. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    If the channel doesn't come in on your HR20 on cutover day, try resetting the OTA in your setup menu. If that doesn't help, then D* isn't sending out updated physical channel info in the guide data yet. The guide is provided to D* by Tribune Media Services:
    http://tribunemediaentertainment.com/contacts.shtml

12. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    Static, lightning, and electrical interference (try running the vacuum) will interfere with digital reception on VHF-Lo. If you see sparklies in the video on analog VHF-Lo with a strong signal (not weak distant station), you will likely have issues with digital on the same channels.

Many TV station bean counters want to stay VHF lo or high to cut electric bills as transmitter power. They will see what happens when they want to move due to technical reasons and the FCC won't let them or will take quite a time to approve.

13. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    I was wondering if you have to do a "re-scan" of your channels to get the newer channel assignment once any of these channels move.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    For DTV converters, external or built-in ATSC tuners for TVs, PC tuner cards with ATSC capabilities, etc... yes you will need to rescan after the transition on 2/17. For DirecTV's AM21 however, NO, it does not support channel rescan (much to the disappointment of many here). But any channel realignments of the OTA locals displayed in the EPG and their associated mapping to any new physical channels, will take place seamlessly via a reprogramming through the satellite stream. Therefore you won’t (or at least shouldn’t :rolleyes:) have to do a thing.

Whether or not your outside antenna will be capable of receiving the new physical OTA channels after 2/17 is a different story however.

15. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Having lived in two markets with VHF HI & LO DTV channels, I've seen this happen even on VHF highband, at 45 miles from the transmitters. But of course, it's much more common on VHF LO and may not be as big a problem on highband in urban areas. Perhaps the FCC will allow power increases in the future, to overcome impulse noise on fringe highband reception.

VHF lowband should be banned for DTV use.

16. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    None of those stations broadcast their DTV signals in the VHF band now, nor will they after the transition.

17. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Many of the stations planning to switch from UHF to VHF have been running short tests on the VHF (currently analog) frequency. (Very early) this morning, both KCTS (PBS) and KSTW (CW) in Seattle ran tests (both VHF-HI) and they came in fine here on both my TV and HDHomeRun networked tuner. Of course I couldn't test with the HR20 or HR21/AM21 since they can't scan, but I expect they will work fine once the switch is made.

18. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    We had a local channel here in New Orleans [WVUE Fox8] make the switch from physical 29 to physical 8 on 22 December 2008. This station has the primary programming on 8.1, & a sub channel 8.2 that shows news replays, etc. The metadata in the guide data was corrected for the primary channel for my HR20 to properly tune 8.1. However, as of today, we can still not tune 8.2 on our HR2x DVRs. This is really frustrating, and trying to find someone to fix this is, well, very difficult. I hope you have better results in your area.

Cheers,
    John

19. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    See also http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=149076

Basically I think we'll just have to wait and see. Of course I'm not sure if Feb 17 is actually D(igital)-Day anymore either, so who knows what will happen. In my case, I don't think my ABC affiliate was going to change frequency until later in the spring anyway when they get a new transmitter installed that they are getting from a sister station in California.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Does the HR20 ATSC tuner have th ability to pick up VHF?