OTA on DIRECTV2PC w/o stuttering?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by EricBergan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. EricBergan

EricBergan Mentor

Apr 26, 2007
    Is anyone able to watch OTA recording via DIRECTV2PC without getting only about 2 frames a second? I could swear this used to work for me, but now, after having to replace the receiver, going to eSATA, and who knows how many updates to the Nvidia driver, it's unwatchable.

It's probably not a raw networking issue since its a wired gigabit connection. Computer is an overclocked i7 930 and GTX 460, so probably not that, either.

Any pointers or thoughts appreciated.

eric

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't tried OTA in a long time [due to a mountain] but it does use the highest bit-rate. What does your network monitor show it's streaming at?

3. EricBergan

EricBergan Mentor

Apr 26, 2007
    I'm only seeing 1.0-1.5% utilization of the gigabit network adapter on the PC.

Interestingly, watching non OTA HD would go 1.5-3.0% of the gigabit adapter.

Unhooked the network from the HDR (it's a HR20-100s) and connected it to my laptop - was able to do a file transfer that consumed 66% of the network adapter (gigabit), so pretty sure it's not the network or something funky with that connection. Looks like it's getting throttled out of the HR20?

eric

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure what's going on on your end, but I started an OTA recording and it plays fine. Bit-rates varied from ~ 12 Mb/s up to 20 and was over 30 during trickplay.

5. EricBergan

EricBergan Mentor

Apr 26, 2007
    I note from your signature you have an HR20-700, that's what I used to have as well. It failed, they replaced it with the HR20-100s, wonder if that could be the difference?

eric

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I wouldn't think so, but :shrug:

7. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I just checked and I can stream on OTA program from an R22 w/AM21 setup and it works flawlessly.

8. EricBergan

EricBergan Mentor

Apr 26, 2007

Thanks for the response! Anyone stream an HD OTA from an HR20-100?

eric