OTA Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by the2130, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sep 2, 2019 #1 of 22
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I have DirecTV, which I am NOT considering cancelling at this time, but I'm thinking about having an antenna installed on my roof to use in the event of station blackouts due to fee fights. It would also be nice to have on rare occasions when snow blocks out my satellite reception, which on occasion has knocked out our satellite reception for more than 24 hours.

I'm trying to determine if I can get the local network affiliates where I live, which is in the 30189 area code northwest of Atlanta, across town from where most of the stations are located. Antennaweb shows channel 57, a non-network station, as the only station accessible from here, but the FCC site DTV Reception Maps shows channels 5, 11, 46, and 69 as "strong" from this zip code and channel 2 as "moderate". Does anyone know why these sites show different results and which is accurate?

2. Sep 2, 2019 #2 of 22
    Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    There is something wacky about the antennaweb.org info for 30189.

Entering zip code 30189 shows no ATL reception
    Entering Woodstock, GA 30189 shows no ATL reception
    Entering Woodstock, GA (no zip code) shows 23 stations / 90 channels
    Try entering the street / city address without the zip code or dragging the map pin to your location.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. Sep 3, 2019 #3 of 22
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks, I entered my full address and Now it shows 13 stations, including 11 (NBC), 46 (CBS), 69 (CW), 8 (PBS), and 5 (Fox). Channel 2 (ABC) is the only network affiliate not listed. That's the one that showed moderate strength on the FCC site.

The antenna type listed is blue for channels 11 and 46, and violet for 69, 8, and 5, but I don't see anything that indicates what types of antenna those would be. Any recommendations?

What I'm thinking about doing is getting a rooftop antenna installed, buying an HDHomerun, and using one of my Plex servers for live TV, which would also allow me to record shows.

4. Sep 3, 2019 #4 of 22
    Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    The transmitter towers for all of the major affiliates in ATL (including WSB-2) are located within about 5 miles of each other (a little East and NE of downtown). If you can get channels 5, 11, 46 and 69, you should also be able to get channel 2.

Channels 8 and 11 are high-VHF, so you can't get away with a UHF only antenna. For your situation, I would probably go with a Channel Master Digital Advantage 60 (Digital Advantage HDTV Outdoor TV Antenna-Channel Master CM 2018 (CM2018)) or something similar. You might be able to use the smaller Channel Master Digital Advantage 45 or similar, but it has considerably less VHF gain. I am old school and think a bigger antenna without an amplifier is better than a smaller antenna with an amplifier.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    the2130 likes this.
  5. Sep 3, 2019 #5 of 22
    dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Speaking of OTA channels. Some of you may see a new OTA channel. CBS Lifestyle channel called DABL premiering September 9th. (I have no idea what DABL stands for.) See DABL | A New Lifestyle Network for more information.

6. Sep 3, 2019 #6 of 22
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    You don’t specifically state whether your OTA signal will go only to your TV, or whether you want the OTA signal going to your DTV DVR, in which case you could record OTA content for deferred viewing.

Be aware that the current DTV device that connects an OTA antenna, called the LCC for Local Channel Connector, is not without issues. There is a lengthy thread here that describes the various issues that we have experienced, so proceed with caution. On the positive side, DTV will typically ship you an LCC free of charge. IMO, charging anything for a POS would be criminal...

Another legacy hardware option is the DTV AM21, no longer available from DTV, but which can usually be found on eBay. It is not without issues either, and is not supported by all DTV DVR’s (like the Genie2, I believe), so once agin, proceed with caution.

7. Sep 3, 2019 #7 of 22
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I definitely want to be able to record OTA TV. I rarely watch TV shows live because of all the commercials. I'm considering connecting the antenna to an HDHomerun, and connecting that to my network. I could then use the Live TV feature in one of my Plex servers to play and record OTA TV.

Thanks for bringing up the LCC - I need to read up on that. I've seen it mentioned here but I've never looked into it until now.

8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 22
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I stopped using both my AM21 and my LCC. Both were too unstable for me with the current software on my DVR's. I went with a Tablo and I am very happy with it. If you are a Plex fan - the HDHomerun is a great option for you for sure.

9. Sep 4, 2019 #9 of 22
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    FWIW - my LCC has been rock solid. Now that the Nexstar dispute is settled, I'm back to viewing the satellite-delivered versions via my favorites list, but still viewing the additional subchannels flawlessly.

10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I am happy to hear that it is working well for you. In my case, the instability has something to do with my proximity to the broadcast towers, and possibly multipath distortion. I never had the patience required to trouble-shoot the signal quality issues. Thankfully, the Nexstar dispute has been resolved, and NBC programming is back on the satellite. I have removed my AM21 and returned it to its home on a shelf in the closet. RIP.

11. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Exactly - I get more stations without signal breakup with my Tablo than with my LCC (yes, same attic antenna). Also - it felt like I could fry an egg on the LCC.

The breaking point for me was the guide data. D* never got it right for me, as I'm able to pull in both the Boston and Providence markets. Even with the ability to use both zip codes it was never correct for me. (No, I did not try to play the zip code game - because of the other issues I was having with it I gave up on it.)

When 15-1 (Boston) changed with the repack, the guide data on the Tablo went bad for that station. I sent Tablo an email about it and 3 days later it was fixed. Try that with D*.

12. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback on LCC and AM21. Yes, I'm a big fan of Plex and I have a Plex Pass. I have 2 PCs I use as Plex servers and I use the client app on my tablet, phone, and smart TV.

13. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I have an old Radio Shack coax signal booster, with an FM Trap switch built in, connected in series from my outdoor antennas. Once I turned the trap to ‘on’, that solved my multi path issues. It’s been working for nearly 10 years now on all of my IRD’s.

14. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I have a lcc connector for my genie which dont pick up many of my locals. I bought a outdoor antenna where i get all my local channels directly to my tv when i try to put in my genie it dont pick up the channels. Is there a way to use a outdoor antenna with the genie?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Just use it instead of the leaf antenna that come with the lcc.

16. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I tried it put it dont pick up all the channels thru the lcc .antenna picks up stations thru the tv fine

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    That is because the LCC is a POS.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    see "LCC" thread with latest procedure to properly install/setup the LCC[onnector]

19. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I don't know about the LCC, because I haven't worked with one. But I've worked with 2 AM21's. One on an HR24 and one on an HR44. They both work excellent. You HAVE TO HAVE an ANTENNA that receives the station's. If your antenna PICKS up the signal for any given station the AM21 WILL. I'm sure the LCC works the same way. So IMO anybody out there who complains about the LCC, HAS for some REASON, an INFERIOR antenna. GET a signal from your antenna and the LCC will WORK. Now, the database limitations (which really has been updated), or the AM21 ability to scan can cause problems, but if you know your equipment and what it's capable of, that's not a problem either.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You don't have an LCC and "don't know" about them but then you make a generic statement to say that people having problem with the LCC have an Antenna problem. "you're sure" the LCC and the AM21 work the same.

Not sure how you can reach your conclusion when admittedly you "don't know" about the LCC.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019