1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA setup question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by keeferb, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keeferb

keeferb AllStar

Dec 19, 2005
    I am attempting to set up a OTA attic antenna to pull in the HD locals and I have a question on the multiswitch/diplexor configuration. This has been discussed in a few other threads but couldn't find one with my situation. I will be running the OTA coax from the antenna down to the basement to a pre-amp. There I also have a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch(WB68) which doesn't have an OTA input. I have 2 tv's(w/ HD tuners) that I'd like to run the OTA signal to. My plan was to split the OTA coax after the pre-amp, then diplex those with the 2 outputs from the multiswitch that go to the tv's. Then diplex them again at each tv. Will this work?

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What type of satellite dish do you have? Typically you can't diplex OTA signals with satellite signals if you're using the new 5-LNB AT9 dish, or plan to upgrade to one soon.

3. keeferb

keeferb AllStar

Dec 19, 2005
    It's the 18" round dish w/ dual LNB. I don't have any plans to upgrade to the HD dish.

4. wanabee

wanabee New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I am having a new 5NB dish, HD10_DVR and OTA installed. I would like to record OTA signals. I understand it can't be done with the new dish. Is there a correct way of installing the OTA so I can record it on the DVR?

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You probably should have used the 5x8 switch as it has an OTA input.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you don't have an H(R)20, you likely won't be getting the 5 LNB dish so you won't have to worry.

If you do manage to get the AT-9, someone will have to run additional cabling dedicated to the OTA signal. This is one of the reasons that they don't use the AT-9 with the HR10.

I have a pet theory that they probably won't offer the HR20 to markets that don't have HD locals. Part of this is conspiracy theory that D* doesn't want people comparing LIL to OTA. My theory breaks down in a year or so when MPEG4 nationals should debut.

7. wanabee

wanabee New Member

Aug 27, 2006

I will be getting the AT-9 and the HD10-DVR. With the additional cabling dedicated to the OTA, can it be connected to the HD-DVR?

8. keeferb

keeferb AllStar

Dec 19, 2005
    I originally had a 5x8, but when we got hit by lightning they came and replaced all receivers along with the mutiswitch. I guess I never paid attention to it at the time what they were replacing it with.

I did get the OTA HD locals working using the setup described above. Those HD programs look fantastic!

9. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    On my TV (Panny Plasma), D* HD looks as good as my OTA HD. Both look amazing.

Now D* SD, looks like CRAP compared to OTA SD.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR10 can tune your local broadcast stations. It is the AT-9 setup that complicates things. As long as you go completely around the AT-9 (no diplexers on the satellite feed cables), you're as good as your OTA reception.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    LIL = Local Into Local (satcast of your locals stations to your market)

Some of the SD quality is probably related to your TV's ability to handle SD. Some of the better TVs include algorithms to improve compressed material.

12. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    How do I find out if the TV has it? Panny says the TV is just really good and can show flaws in some signals. I have a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U

It's really only pretty crappy on the locals. rest of the D* channels are fine. Nothing great or nothing stunning. D* blames it on the local stations saying they send them a crappy signal. Locals look like regular cable.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The specifications on the website mention motion adaptive, but they don't say anything about the quality of the scaler. Without being able to see the unit hooked up to a conventional OTA antenna, it is hard to say where the problem lies.

Another test would be to compare a pre-recorded 4:3 video tape. If the tape looks like a second generation copy, then your scaler stinks. If it looks OK, then I'd be blaming DirecTV. It is my understanding that DirecTV is almost entirely in control of the signal that they get from the local station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.