OTA & the Hopper

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by Kell710, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1 of 13
    Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    I found your website while searching for a problem I'm having w/ my new Hopper. I'm desperate for help, so I hope someone is able to help me. I had a 622 receiver that was able to broadcast my local channels in HD by directly connecting an indoor digital antenna to the receiver (I have the locals through Dish but only in standard definition). I watched a football game as recently as last Sunday, in HD, using that antenna on the 622 receiver. I got the new Hopper on Wednesday of this week and noticed the antenna wasn't attached and that there was no place to attach it using the connection it had. I saw in the booklet that came w/ the hopper that an antenna could be connected still, but in doing more research, found I had to purchase the digital tuner/dongle that would connect my antenna through USB. I ordered the tuner/dongle, from Dish, and set it up as instructed by the instructions that came w/ it. I had all the local channels scanned and it revealed I had ten local channels to add. I then clicked "select all" and "add locals" and received error message 1317 stating that "this feature is coming soon." I couldn't add my locals in HD via the antenna! I called Dish twice. The first guy told me they would be available after an update to my receiver @ 2am. I tried again this morning and got the same error message. I called them back the second time and now they're telling me my locals don't show broadcasting in HD on their system and that I'm not able to use the OTA because of that fact. I'm completely at a loss. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether Dish has added something to the new Hopper that blocks local channels in HD on an OTA, if the local stations are at odds w/ them? I can't for the life of me figure out why I was able to get my locals in HD using my antenna, on the 622 and not the Hopper. I would greatly apprecitate any help you can give me, I don't know what else to do. Thank you!

2. Dec 7, 2013 #2 of 13
    fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    I have a Hopper with the OTA adapter, and I receive Locals in HD

3. Dec 7, 2013 #3 of 13
    Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    Thank you for the reply. I'm so frustrated at this point. I only switched to the Hopper because my 622 was going out & the replacement they sent quit working after 3 days. It was fixed, but I was told the 622 receiver has been discontinued and I would only be getting refurbished receivers if I continued having problems. The Hopper is new technology, so I thought it would be better as far as quality and production. I talked w/ Dish today and just got more frustrated when they told me I the channels where I live don't broadcast in HD...I told them I just watched a game in HD from the antenna that was connected to a Dish 622 receiver a week ago tomorrow. I don't know where to turn now!

4. Dec 7, 2013 #4 of 13
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    After you scan and it has found your locals select SAVE and your done.

The "add locals" button is for manually adding additional channels that scanning didn't find, example from another direction if you have to rotate your antenna. The add button has not been activated yet so you are currently limited to only channels that were found when scanning.

5. Dec 7, 2013 #5 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You have to buy the OTA adapter from Dish. Its $30.00 and plugs into one of the USB ports. Login to your Dish account and order one.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #6 of 13
    Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    Thank you for the responses. I did buy the adapter/tuner or "dongle," as Dish calls it, I have been able to do every step but actually get the locals to show up on my guide. I actually tried hitting "save" several times after hitting "select all" to choose all of the channels found during the scan and they still aren't showing up in yellow. Thans for the suggestions though.

7. Dec 8, 2013 #7 of 13
    n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
    You don't need to "select all" just scan and then save.

8. Dec 8, 2013 #8 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  9. Dec 8, 2013 #9 of 13
    Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, n0qcu. I've tried just hitting save too and it doesn't show up on the guide. I've tried every combination That it shows available and it still won't come up on the guide.
    Thank you for the link, thomasjk,. I think I saw that one while searching this problem out online. I'll give it a try.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Check the channel settings in the guide. Make sure its set to MY Channels or All channels

11. Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    That didi it!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Awesome!

12. n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
    And that is the reason why they originally had the hopper default to the "my channels" guide setting.

Glad you got it figured out.

13. Kell710

Kell710 New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    USA
    Me too!