1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Timers issue

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by liferules, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    I have set up some timers for different shows, with OTA on top of Sat (that way if there is a conflict, it goes to the SD sat channel and tapes. I have them arranged with the HD OTA timer prioritized higher. Despite this, I have noted all this week that the 622 is ignoring the OTA (calling it a duplicate) and recording the lower prioritized SD sat timer.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I do the exact same thing as you but have not had that problem. All I did was make the OTA timers first and the SD ones after it. A couple times where I did it the other way around I just went into the OTA timers and raised the priorities of them.

3. Stutz342

Stutz342 AllStar

Sep 29, 2004
    I have found that priority is only used to decide what to skip when there are too many timers at a time slot. It does not seem to be used to decide which of a duplicate set should be selected.

I wish priority could be used that way, as it would allow me to create timers for both OTA HD and SAT SD versions of my favorite shows, and be sure I would get the HD if the tuner was available, and only get the SD for those shows that couldn't be recorded HD. As it is now, there seems to be some randomness to the behavior.

4. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    Strange because I do not have that problem. I accomplish this with Priorities for my recordings of The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Everybody Hates Chris, and the 70's show. All of these timers conflict with other OTA HD timers I have at a higher priority. Anytime those other shows are re-runs or not airing I get OTA-HD versions of these shows.

5. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    My experience is more like Stutz's...

6. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    i assume you are choosing "new" for the oen that is recording? I just got a 942 as a replacement for a 921, and I found that when I set my HD timers to "new", my backup SD recordings are ignored. so I had to go into the timers and use the restore function on the skipped timers and tell them to record anyway and that solved the overlap issue :)

7. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    I have to do the same thing if I want both copies recorded. However, if I only want one copy, then I do not.

For example, 2 shows on at the same time, different OTA channels, Simpsons and West Wing.

West Wing OTA-HD Timer Priority 5
    Simpsons OTA-HD Timer Priority 6
    Simpsons SAT-SD Timer Priority 7

In a normal week if the West Wing and Simpsons are new, I get the West Wing in HD, and the Simpsons in SD, the Simpsons OTA-HD is skipped by priority. However, if the West Wing is a re-run, I will get the Simpsons via OTA-HD, and it will skip the Simpsonsn SAT-SD as a duplicate.

I have at least 3 timer groups, if not more setup like this per week, and they seem to work fine for me.

8. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    yeah, that's how i figured it worked if you only wanted one at a time. After all the bad experiences with the 921, I want backups :) Plus i don't normally get to the shows for almost a week, so even for shows with a replay during the week, i'm likely to miss the chance to record it if there were problems, so I just do and HD/SD both when possible ;)

So far, I think I've only had one time i had to watch the SD version because of problems with the OTA transmission.

9. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    I'm with ya, but I use my 721 for that. Unless it's a show/channel that notoriously has problems in Hi-Def, then I'll also record a SD backup on my 622/942.

10. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    That's exactly how I have mine set up, but what happens is:

Recorded: West Wing Sat-SD and Simpsons Sat-SD. Seems to ignore the OTA. When I review the timer schedule, it lists the OTA's as skipped due to "duplicate" but in fact the duplicate was a timer of lower priority...

11. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    That is bizare. If I were you I'd try nuking the timers and creating them over again in the order you'd want them recorded. Maybe there was a bug in the software at the time they were setup or prioritized? Strange it would work for one and not another.

12. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    were they both created as "new" episode pickups? Almost sounds like the OTA was either added 2nd or wasn't added as a "new" designation, and when you added the SD with "new", it took over being master.

delete the SD, make sure the HD is set to "new" then readd the SD. If it still has the problem, remove them both and reenter them both starting with the HD one.

13. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    Yeah, I'll try that. I did indeed creat the OTA second as I installed OTA later after the initial timers were created. However, I would have thought that by prioritzing them higher, it would have been no problem (BTW this was 2 wks ago, so even new timers coming up on the schedule are still being sent to Sat 1st).

I'll delete the timers and retry...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.