1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Tuner Module

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by sregener, Apr 27, 2012.

1. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Okay, watched American Idol last night using the satellite HD locals for Rochester-Austin-Albert Lea-Mason City. Picture quality was very poor. Lots of macro blocking, and colors were definitely quashed. It was a bit like watching a station that simulcasts 3 HD feeds...

So... now I really want the OTA tuner module for my Hopper. Anyone have any idea when we might see one of these?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Soon, wait for Summer first ...

3. hejohnmeyer3

hejohnmeyer3 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2008
    An OTA Tuner for the Hopper is something I'd really love to have, too!

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    We have not received any updates on an ETA for this feature. We will keep you posted as soon as we have any new information.

5. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Too bad you don't have an AM21 tuner like "D". It works great. Channels look just as good as the "D" HD transmission for local channels. I deleted the "D" local transmitted channels from channel listing and added all local HD ones to it so when the weather gets bad we can at least still see local channels.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has OTA tuners either built in or installable on their other HD receivers ... they just have not added that option to the Hopper/Joeys at this time.

As stated often, the option is coming.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    This time it would be easy for them - they will add drivers, integrate streaming with ATSC system tables (PSIP, TVGOS for EPG) and pass the headache to customer to buy the USB 8VSB tuners in any store.
    Adding to that big disadvantage DTV OTA tuners - castrated list of local channels.

8. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I do have one. It just doesn't work with my Hopper. :) It would have been nice if I could have watched all the sub-channels with my AM21, but efforts to get DirecTV to add them to the guide failed.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It should be noted that DISH does not provide EPG for all subchannels and the EPG they provide is not always correct (despite numerous efforts to get the right channel mapped to each subchannel).

But on the plus side one can watch any channel one can receive without regard to markets and zip coded setups. (On receivers where OTA is available, that is.)

10. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Just curious here, but what makes having a built-in ota tuner any more difficult to have originally designed on the Hopper than say, my 211k or any other HD receiver? Seems like this would have been a no-brainer! I'm just saying....

Ken

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Who knows why companies decide what they do. I don't know why they made the OTA module separate for the 722K and 922 receivers... and not sure why they decided to not use that same module on the Hopper... but instead to wait and test USB OTA adapters later.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    OTA would be good for the uncarried subchannels and neighboring market channels but there is likely a tipping point where most subscribers are satisfied with their via satellite locals. Perhaps they don't know what they are missing but not having OTA doesn't seem to be a big deal.

13. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    It's almost like DISH engineers figured they don't need the OTA tuner they have PTAT!.:confused:

14. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    It's not more difficult, it's more expensive. I work for Dish as an installer and I hardly ever see anyone using the OTA ability built in to the VIP receivers. I would guess that less than 1% of Dish subscribers actually use it. So why make every single Hopper receiver cost more (even if it's only $0.50 each) to manufacture, when you could just add USB support for an off-the-shelf OTA tuner that someone else manufactures and just have to write drivers for it. Then you can slap a Dish logo on it and make a few cents when you sell them to subscribers that actually want it.

It's a much smarter business model, I have no problem with it.

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

You can see one here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/283981-trade-show-floor-thoughts.html

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  17. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you'll use [ img] tag here, like this ;)

19. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  20. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Sorry did not know.I don't have to login to see the pictures so I thought anyone could.:eek: