OTA USB Adapter

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by SDWC, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Hi All,

I have a Hopper w/Sling and recently ordered the OTA adapter. Haven't had a chance to install it yet but I understand that the box can only handle one USB device at a time, even though there are 2 ports. Do I have to disconnect my EHD in order to add the OTA adapter? What happens if both are connected at the same time? I'd hate to have to keep plugging and unplugging devices whenever I want to use one or the other.

Any "best practice" types of suggestions on managing this greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    You can have more than one USB device connected at the same time.

3. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    As confirme dyou can run an EHD and an OTA adaptrer. But, as fars as I know, you can't have two EHD drives. Also, only one OTA adapter per Hopper.

It is not a good idea to disconnect devices while the Hopper is running. It could damage the EHD. Also, the OTA Adpater, being unplugged, sometime scan cause the Hopper to reboot.

The USB adapter works reasonable well. Its shortcomings:

1. It scans channels fairly quickly, so it could skip weaker channels. The scan rate is 3 seconds per channel.
    2. If a channels is received on two different OTA channels, the first one the adapter scans in; it will ignore the other channel; even if it has a stringer signal. In Denver, fro example, Channel 7 comes in on 7 and 17; 17 is the stringer of the two, but 7 is usually chosen at my location.
    3. Sometimes it will not scan in very strong channels, so a rescan usually takes care of that.
    4. This biggest issue is that you cannot add an individual channel, you always have to rescan all the channels.
    5. There is minor signal loss going from RF to a USB cable to the Hopper. So, you may get more channels having the antenna cable plugged into your TV set RF port, than you will get on the USB adapter.
    6. The Programming guide, fro the USB adapter, does not use what is transmitted by the local TV station, but what DISH sends. DISH does not carry listing fro most OTA sub channels.

Though, compared to what DIrecTV provides, the OTA adapter is just a digital tuner. DirectTV's OTA unit (good sized box) will only scan in channels which is in a database that has not been updated since 2011. So, any new subchannels, which signed don since 2011, in a market, are not available on their OTa tuner.

4. Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther Cool Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I have 2 EHDs an an OTA plugged into mine and they all work. I use the 2 ports in the back and the one in the front

Pam

5. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Many thanks to all of you for your information and assistance.