Other FL satellite customers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TiggerInFL, Aug 25, 2009.

1. TiggerInFL

TiggerInFL New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I just moved to Florida and currently have cable. We are thinking about switching to D* but are worried about losing reception during rain/storms. Are there any other Florida residents that can help me out with some questions?

How often do you lose reception and when does it occur? Are you happy with satellite or would you rather have cable? And why?

We are very interested in the NFL package that is offered by D* - cable doesn't offer any.

Thanks for your help.

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I live in Miami, Fl. So far no signal lose with all the storms that have been coming through here. This was also one of my biggest concerns when I switched from Comcast to Directv. The installation has changed a lot since back when I heard of a lot more problems. I cant speak for everyone i Florida but I have to say that other than a hurricane I dont see any problems. Just this evening a huge stormed rolled through here and nothing. Everything went smooth.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    From what we hear often here; people in FL learn to live with the rain fade events during the thunderstorm season.
    If you can receive OTA then use those as a backup for rainfade events.
    A perfectly peaked dish will help a lot but if you're hoping not to have rain fade ever you'll be disappointed.
    If you want to DIY stuff then look into getting the larger AK/HI dish which will give you some extra signal reliability, but as said that is 100% DIY.

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The worst situation for rain fade is when your dish points parallel or "long ways" into a storm front at a flat angle. In Florida, your dish will be aimed at a steeper angle and your storms tend to be less frontal boundaries and more like pockets of rain.

Where I live, all of our rain storms are frontal boundaries and they come in perfectly parallel to the direction my dish points. I get rain fade, but it's not that often and generally only lasts five too ten minutes. If I had to add is all up, I'd say I miss less than an hour a year of TV due to rain fade. Years ago when I was on cable, I missed a lot more than that due to "technical difficulties" with their wire.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The only time I ever suffer rain fade here in West Palm Beach is when the rain is torrential and then I generally wind up losing power anyways so it doesn't matter.

6. Crimson

Crimson Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    I'll lose the signal here in St Pete/Tampa area when it rains EXTREMELY hard.. also sometimes before it rains depending on the direction its coming from.. You'll have rain dropouts in FL pretty much anywhere I think.. Its not frequent enough that I care though.

7. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    Another Space Coast person... Welcome! I can see the VAB, directly East Northeast, from my backyard. That should give you an idea where I am. I'm guessing you're in Viera. I only have a rain fade problem when it's coming down very hard...

Outages usually last 5 minutes or so. But, I have had a 30 minute outage. That was in July with VERY heavy rains that dumped 2.5 inches in about an hour.

All of my signal strengths are 95 or better. Most of the time I can switch to the SD version of a channel and continue viewing with no problem. The HD signals are a little more sensitive to rain fade.

As for Dim House cable... No way! Sure, you may have a little rain fade, but if a TS or hurricane comes thru, your cable could be out for a very long time. As long as your dish is up, even if it not you can put it back up, you can re-point if needed. Remember, if the power lines are down, so are the cable lines. So, if you have a gen set, you're good to go!

As for NFLST, maybe someone else will chime in. I don't subscribe to it.

:welcome_s

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yep, that's what happens here. I can predict a torrential downpour about two minutes before it happens based on when my D* signal drops. A few weeks ago, I was at a local restaurant picking up dinner to go. While I was standing a the bar waiting on my order, I saw that their D* signal was pixelating and throwing 771 SFSS messages. I told the guy sitting next to me that we were about to get a good soaking. He said he doubted it as it wasn't in the forecast. Sure enough, just as I got my order and was safely in the car, it hit and it was a heck of a storm. That guy sitting in the bar is probably wishing he'd asked me for some lottery number picks! :lol:

9. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    I finally peaked my dish correctly and haven't had rain fade since in the same type of rain events I used to lose it every time on HD and sometimes SD.

I'm not in FL, obviously, but it goes to show how even if you have high numbers in clear weather don't under-estimate the importance of a peaked dish and how well it reduces rain fade.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Depends on where you live. When we lived way east (on the barrier island) we didn't have much rain fade because the ocean breezes tended to hold off many of the storms. Since we have moved west (about 5 miles) we now get them quite frequently...and as an earlier poster said they come about two minutes before a torrential downpour. They generally don't last long, but if you're an Oprah fan (like my wife) there's a couple of months of not being happy.

Our dish is aligned well with signal strength 90+ on all and most TPs 95+.

11. bobkvjr

bobkvjr Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    As fellow Space Coast resident, I have had little problem with rain fade since I got the new slimline dish installed and properly aligned. I have a 100" antenna installed in my attic space for OTA viewing during storms and hurricanes. The NFL ST losses are few, it seems that once they know that rain is a issue in FLA they seem to adjust the spotbeam power to us. IMHO.

12. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    As has been said, when there is very heavy rain, I do get some rain fade issues. ONe of the key things is to insure that your dish is aligned properly, especially on the 99 and 103 sats, since those are the most sensitive to rain fade.

Even with the rain fade, it's a lot better than when I had Comcast and it went out for a half an hour a day, almost every day and sometimes longer.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Agree with Marty on both points. Even with a well-aligned dish, you will get some episodes of rain fade during our "wet" season. However, they are brief and the total outage time per year is less than many (most?) cable systems.

14. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    It's not that frequent, and a perfectly peaked dish will minimize trouble greatly. I had worse outages with Comcast.

15. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I live in Central FL and have been with D* since 1998 and rain fade isn't a big problem.

Like others have said , you only lose the signal for a short time during the worst of the storm. I wouldn't worry about rain fade when deciding on sat or cable. but if a storm does damage the cable lines on the street , you will lose that cable signal a lot longer than sat rain fade.

16. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I'm in Winter Haven, about halfway between Tampa and Orlando. I will occasionally lose signal during very heavy thunderstorms with high thunderheaders to my southwest (the LOS for my dish). The outage rarely lasts for more than 5 - 10 minutes and not every storm produces an outage.

Over the course of a year, I would guess I experience maybe 10-12 hours of cumulative loss of signal.

What cable customer can say they have 12 hours or less of service outage in a year? Nobody I know.

17. flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan Godfather

Feb 16, 2005
    I can't overemphasize how much a perfectly aligned dish helps. I was getting rain fade extensively in South Carolina when the installer left me with 99/103 signals in the 80s. I took it upon myself to get a meter (for tailgating) and just really tweaked it out. None of my signals are below 95 now, and I think I have had one rainfade event since I did that over a year ago. And we've been known to get a thunderstorm or two. :)

18. MrAP

MrAP Mentor

Aug 4, 2009
    I have another thread that I will post details in, but I think this is my rain fade issue. Recently I caught the HR2x at the very tail end of a shower, so the rain was quite light, but my 99 signals went from the 80's to the 70's and I was getting pixellation on a HD channel.

19. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    The rain may have been light at your house, but what was it like in the LOS to the satellites.

I've had the weather bright and sunny at my house, but to the southwest there were heavy thunderstorms. Those storms were in the LOS (line of sight) of dish. No LOS, no or low signal until the storms pass.

What are your signals strengths like when there are no storms in your area?

20. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I live in Englewood between Tampa & Ft Myers. I agree with what others have posted & would just like to add a couple things. In addition to good alignment make sure they do a good job securing the dish so the winds don't knock it out of alignment. I also have OTA & if I lose the sat. I can still receive OTA signals. If the OTA from Ft Myers has rain fade, the Sat comes in. If watching a game in rainy weather I have 1 tuner to the Sat & the other to the same network OTA I rarely miss anything by doing this. I would also recommend a DVR, that way you are sure to have something to watch.