OTT Android Box program offerings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Jan 11, 2019.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Do we have any sense yet as to how the program packages will be offered with the new OTT Android box? I see that they are Beta testing this box with DirecTV Now customers, and I'm curious as to how different the packages will be for those like myself, who are not DirecTV Now customers, but rather DirecTV satellite customers? Is the idea to take the current satellite packages and offer them at a lower price through the streaming box?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There have been very few details about how this is going to work

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I guess I'm really wondering why they don't just offer a couple of high-end packages comparable to their satellite service to the DirecTV Now platform?

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This product has been talked about in statements by the execs as being basically the same thing as Directv's satellite product, except delivered over IP. Things can change, but most likely you'll see the same packages/channels offered on each - possibly with some variations they can't offer due to contractual restrictions.

No one can tell about pricing, and AT&T might not have even finalized their plans yet. So other than "when it is all added up the monthly bill will be cheaper than satellite" (because it is self install and there's no Genie it is cheaper for them to get you set up) one can only guess about individual line items and package pricing.

As for why not add options to Directv Now, this is a different product that uses Directv supplied hardware. The contracts with networks will sometimes be different on what they can offer via OTT streaming (defined as going to customer owned equipment) and streaming to devices owned by the provider.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think they want a platform similar to the box the Altice puts out. Altice/Cablevision is my Internet provider and they have a box that sounds kinda like the box you're wondering about. Here's a link: Optimum Internet, TV and Phone - Connect More |

I can see D* doing something similar. With the Altice box I'd need one for each TV set. And I'd pay for each one monthly...sound familiar?

The sky over cable companies and sat providers is falling and the chickens are in a state of panic. So they lay more boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if every provider did this.

Rich

TDK1044 likes this.
  6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think DirecTV Now is going to be aimed more at cord cutters that don't want full blown "cable/satellite service".

I believe this service is going to be aimed more at people that want DirecTV but can't install a dish. Maybe they don't have line of sight but have good internet service, or they live in an apartment/condo where they can't install a dish, or maybe even hotels/businesses where it will save them money to only have to run ethernet instead of ethernet and coax to all rooms. I'm thinking they can use the same C31/41/61 clients, and just come out with a different version of the HS17 Genie 2 that hooks up to ethernet from your router instead of coax from a satellite, and uses RVU to talk to the same clients we are using.

7. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There will not be a Genie 2 with the new IP service. It will be clients talking directly to the Directv servers, and using cloud DVR. They've been clear on part of the savings being from eliminating the Genie.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta admit I'm still trying to figure out why folks need such a service. If I didn't have the issue with sports I would drop D* in a heartbeat and I would not need a cable replacement service.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Perhaps ATT could deal with that service. It's much simpler. D* seems to be too much for them to handle.

Rich

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I guess I have missed that. I just figured the savings was because they wouldn't need the truck roll to install the dish and Genie 2, they would just let the customer hook the Genie 2 up to their router themselves.

11. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I understand D* getting away from having to roll a truck out to install equipment and to deal with technical issues related to the satellite service, and I understand that there are customers who want what's offered now on satellite to be offered through a streaming solution. I guess what I struggle with, is why it takes a separate, streamed platform to achieve that, when the box will be identical to the box currently being Beta tested on DirevTV Now? I'm not a techie though, and I guess that this will all become clear in the next 12 months.

12. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    The one thing I still don't get is why in the C71KW manual it says it can only work with a future HS-27 and why it couldn't work with the other servers since the C71KW will be a hybrid box running DTV over SatelliteTV, DTV over IP and maybe even DTV Now.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Could it be they were thinking about doing DTV over managed IPTV but thought doing DTV over unmanaged IPTV would be better because you would kind of get the best of both worlds and not have to take away any managed IPTV bandwidth? Each managed IPTV stream takes away 6 mbps from your internet speed with DTV over unmanaged IPTV doesn't. I think what will happen with DTV over unmanaged IPTV they are going to just rebrand the DTV NOW interface with the DTV or ATT TV name and use the same DTV channel packages but with lower price points. I think eventually they will add all the DTV over SatelliteTV features to the DTV Now interface.

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    That manual is over a year old.. There may not even be a HS27 now

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yeah that manual was for a VERY early beta release of the product. As compnurd says, it has been over a year now and the C71KW is still not out. No doubt a few things have changed, so I wouldn't read anything in that manual as gospel.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Simply put: Unless you give up watching content, whatever service(s) you move your money to becomes your cable/satellite replacement service.

The replacement services may not deliver 100% of all content available via DIRECTV or other traditional providers. (Dare I say "will not"?) I do not expect to see an "everything on DIRECTV without the dish" offering. But if there is profit to be made by selling a version of DIRECTV without the dish (such as the current DIRECTV NOW offering) I can see AT&T attempting to make a profit.

Unfortunately cord cutters are cost conscious and are willing to move their dollars around. Starting and stopping services at will is an advertised selling point of streaming services. To become profitable they need to find a way to keep customers - not just replace the customers they lose each month. A dedicated box is a step in the direction of making customers more sticky. Giving customers box that they can use with another provider is asking them to leave.

I also see streaming being limited to customers with a few sets or less. People who could feed their entire home off of a single HS17 without screaming for more tuners. Fed from the Internet they won't need a HS17 in their home, but people with a dozen TVs probably should look forward to keeping a dish in their future. Or accepting less than best quality HD.

I could see a hotel or other MDU using IP internally (streaming from receivers and servers on site) but I do not expect them to install Internet streaming boxes to replace local receivers.

17. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    We still don't know how many streams DTV over IP will have. DTV over IP could do 5 HD and two 4k streams like the HS-17 does. DTV over IP will also have 4k HDR.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No they won’t. The clients don’t have a coax connection

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps you should have read my post? "People who could feed their entire home off of a single HS17 without screaming for more tuners." Your number matches my prediction!
    The people who will need something better than DTV over IP will be those who need more than an HR17.

Five streams sounds reasonable for a streaming service. Seven including two 4K? The service would be betting that most of their customers would not use all of their streams during peak viewing times.

20. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Sorry I edited my last post and edited out: Good point. However, would they be able to use the HS-17