Out of tuners... how to expand?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by psuscott0483, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 #1 of 10
    psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    i am attaching the setup diagram but im looking to add "garage" genie client to support 4k to a 4k tv ive added to that room -- i do not currently have anything in 4k. the genie i think will support it with a client and the coax is already run for the installer to come tomorrow (att wouldn't let me do a self-install), but where to plug it into a swm 8 splitters is where im stuck. i think i should be able to remove the wired internet plug-in and have the genie support internet over wireless but im asking the experts here. where are the holes in this idea?

i also would potentially like to add another genie client in the next month putting it at 6 clients with a max of 7 on a hr54?

learning whatever hardware or setup would support this would be greatly appreciated. thanks gurus

Attached Files:

2. Mar 6, 2020 #2 of 10
    SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    If you have a reciever in the same room as the router, you could always put the BB deca coming off a 2 way splitter in that room.

An updated Gen 2 LNB has 22 tuners.

Easiest change would be replacing that swm16 with a dswm30. Split your tuners as evenly as possible. IMO Run your genie and clients off of 1 of the outputs with a few of the 25's , and HR24 and rest boxes off of the other.

IMO I'd keep the BB deca and not use the Internal deca in the Genie. I fine it runs better off of the BBDECA

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

3. Mar 6, 2020 #3 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Actually swapping out the SWiM-16 for a DSWM-30 wouldn't be the easiest route for the OP's installation since the DSWM-30 can't pass MoCA networking signals between its output ports ...

Therefore I'd say the best way for the tech to add 4K capability is to ditch the multiswitch and swap-out the legacy LNB for a SL-3RB SWM one that feeds a 2-way splitter, which in turn feeds two 8-ways in parallel.

And the simplest way to connect the internet to the install is to remove the BB DECA and use the WiFi capability of the Genie to connect to the router. Otherwise a coax connection off a 2x1 splitter from the closest receiver or client box to the BB DECA is necessary.

Either way one of the ports on either of the 8-way splitters needs to be freed up for the new coax run to the garage for a C61K.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    SuperTech2131 likes this.
  4. Mar 6, 2020 #4 of 10
    SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    That's right. I wasn't thinking of it not passing the internet over.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

5. Mar 6, 2020 #5 of 10
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Client doesn't take a tuner so you are good with what you have as far as tuners go. Just need to add a 2 way splitter to your shortest two runs off the 8 way.

Rich likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2020 #6 of 10
    psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    tech disconnected the bbdeca and wired genie to router. I kept the deca and have a 2way I could add if this would work better as someone mentioned above? why is the standalone would be preferred, just for curiosity sake

7. Mar 6, 2020 #7 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

The OP should have actually titled the thread is "Out of spare splitter ports, how to expand?" ...

But that really use to be a common misconception, even amongst a number of DIRECTV techs. Of confusing tuner numbers with splitter ports ...

8. Mar 6, 2020 #8 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The connection the tech made of connecting the Genie directly to the router by ethernet. And using the Genie's internal DECA bridge actually is the preferred method over the standalone method with the external BB DECA as you had before.

However, it's been my experience that while the Genie's internal DECA bridge works fine for providing internet access to services and features used by other DIRECTV receivers. DO NOT try to use it for running "unsupported" equipment on the satellite coax network. Use a standalone hookup with the BB DECA in that situation.

For instance, I once tried to use my Genie's ethernet port to the internal DECA to supply a convenient network connection and internet access to an OTA TiVo DVR located nearby. And while it worked fine for daily connections to the TiVo service for program guide and firmware updates. When I tried to stream programs from it to other TiVo DVRs and Minis, it was a complete wipe-out.

The Genie's internal DECA failed miserably and couldn't support the TiVo's program streams at all ....

Had to switch to a standalone hookup with a BB DECA as I said. ...

9. Mar 6, 2020 #9 of 10
    psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    you’re absolutely right, that was a mistake on my part. I learned a few new things today with this and how I can add a client or two yet with splitters while not exceeding the tuner capacity if they aren’t all on at once of course. Seemingly I’m still learning about a legacy system that is already phased out.
    Thank you for that information. I kept the bbdeca and have a 2way handy to reconnect it easy. The nearest receiver to the router is the genie itself, I don’t suppose that would be an issue?

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, you may acceptably split the satellite coax feed to the Genie and feed the other output of a 2x1 splitter to a BB DECA whenever you wish to change back to the standalone topology.

This is what I use since I have three TiVo DVRs and a TiVo Mini connected by DECA adapters to share the DIRECTV satellite coax network. So can't have any of their program streams flowing over the Genie's internal DECA bridge to reach the internet. The TiVos work fine communicating with each other and to the internet through an external BB DECA however.