1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor OTA Antenna

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by 1953, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Even though we are within ten miles of our regions TV broadcasting antennas I do not want to install an unsightly indoor antenna. Question: Can an antenna attached to the first floor exterior brick wall suffice? There are trees in the line of sight or should it be on our roof? From our second floor windows we can actually see the broadcasting towers since we live near the top of a high hill. I know nothing about OTA antennas so suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I will have to get it professionally installed and coax run to our AV. Dallas/Fort Worth region.

Thanks

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Try a $10 set of rabbit ears in the second floor window. If you can see the broadcast towers at Cedar Hill you should have strong TV signals possibly too strong. You may need a (F-81 splice) and 50 ft. of pre made cable to connect the rabbit ears to a TV set.

1953 likes this.
  3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Will test that idea. Thanks for the simple solution. Next task would be how to get the coax to the north exterior side of the house without a butcher job. Sure would be great if there was a wireless transmitter/ receiver.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    drill a frame of your window and put a silicone around the cable there

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I believe there is a wireless transmitter but that is not what they call it. I will look for it.
    ClearStream TV Wireless TV Tuner Adapter for Antennas | Antennas Direct

Consumer - Silicon Dust

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    1953 likes this.