Outlook email on iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Indiana627, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I just started a new job and they gave me an iPhone 4S (my very first smartphone of any kind). It's set up to sync with my Outlook 2010 email. When I get an email, it's forwarded to my phone and it plays a notification alert. It works great except there is one issue. In Outlook, I created a new mail folder and set up a rule so that all email from my boss goes to this folder instead of the default Inbox. I set the iphone to also look at this new mail folder and the emails from my boss do get forwarded to it, but there is no alert to let me know a new email has arrived from my boss.

Is there a way to make it so when I do get an email from Outlook that the phone plays the alert sound regardless if the email is from the default Inbox or the new 'boss' folder I created?

Thanks.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Using the Good app?

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Are you connected to Exchange at work for your e-mail?

- Merg

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think so but if there is a way I'd love to hear it.

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    In the Hotmail settings there is an option to select which Mail Folders to Push. Does the Exchange Client have the same option?

Attached Files:

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It sure does on my iPad.

7. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Sounds like the OP is receiving the message on his iPhone, just not getting a notification like he does when it's in the general inbox.

8. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    You may want to copy the message to BOSS instead of moving it. It seems like the iPhone does not sync with the other folders unless you open it. Since the message gets moved before the phone can see it, you are not going to be alerted.

9. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Not sure what that means?
    Yes connected to Exchange.
    Yes, and I've already set up the Exchange client to push the "boss" folder.
    Correct, I get the emails from my "boss" folder, but my phone doesn't play the notification alert like it does when I get an email pushed to my default Inbox. That's what I'm trying to accomplish so I don't have to keep checking my iphone when I'm away from my laptop to see if my boss emailed me.

10. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    No it won't do that. The notification settings only apply to the actual inbox. So if you are filtering mail and having some go to other folders and skipping the inbox, it won't do anything.

11. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    But if I change the boss rule in Outlook to copy, then the emails will be in both the inbox and the boss folder right? The whole point is to get them out of the inbox.

12. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I tested the Hotmail client, adding a folder to Push and I am getting notifications when an email hits the folder.

Can you generate a mobile alert (text message) in Exchange like you can in Hotmail? I have certain emails send me a text message.

13. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    How would you feel about forwarding the message to an external e-mail account, such as a GMail, and moving it to the BOSS folder. You could then set up GMail on your phone and get alerted this way.

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't see that option in the rules wizard.
    I guess that could work, but it's not my first choice.

I guess I'll just have to live with it the way it is for now.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Might seem dumb, but have it copy the e-mail first and then have another rule that deletes it from your inbox. You should still be able to read it on the iPhone even after it has been deleted until your phone does another sync.

I had the notification on my iPhone of mail from my Exchange account, but read and deleted it on my iPad. The notification remained on the iPhone and I could still read it. Once I performed another sync, it disappeared from the iPhone.

- Merg