1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outstanding DirecTV Customer Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Barry in Conyers, May 11, 2010.

1. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    I have an HR24 on order from Solid Signal and do not have SWiM, so I anticipated needing a pair of BBC's.

Called the 1-800-531-5000 customer service number about 6:30 PM yesterday, responded to the AVR prompt with "equipment" and was promptly connected to a CSR in Montana who took the order for the BBC's. Received a confirming e-mail at 6:54 PM and figured I would have the BBC's by the time the HR24 arrived. The BBC's were delivered by FedEx today at 2:30 PM.

FWIW, the new BBC's are black and about half the size of the gray units that came with the HR20.

Now if SS would just ship the "IN STOCK" HR24.....

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They do come pretty fast. It's funny how they come separate :)

3. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I just called D* as well and will call back in 2 days to get my 2 free boxes that they offered however I forgot to ask about any service charge with MRV I thought I read there would be a service charge?

They have great deals on ST as well

4. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    just a friendly FYI, BBC's are not needed on an HR23 or 24 (they are built in to these models)

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    They are not needed for the HR23, but the ARE needed for an HR24 if using a legacy (non-SWiM) multiswitch.

6. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    my mistake. I assumed incorrectly (since the HR23 has it built in.. guess I need to go play with some more HR24's :D)

7. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    three bucks is the svc charge per month for it.

8. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Thanks

9. Ted M

Ted M Cool Member

Mar 18, 2010
    NOT outstanding service for me.

I have a non-SWM installation, and ordered an HR24 from SolidSignal.

This morning I called D* and the CSR was absolutely convinced I did NOT need BBCs. I had to explain several times about SWM and non-SWM installations.

He said the HR24 has the same features as the HR23, which I have.
    Told him the HR24 does not have wide band tuners.

He finally, but very reluctantly, said he would send them, and it would take 2 to 5 days.

Ted

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's a bummer and the CSR was not correct .. You definitely need BBCs on the HR24 if you are not connecting it to a SWiM.

11. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Can you watch live TV on these MRV boxes or just recorded material? So in other words if my main box is recoeding 2 shows can I watch live on the other box?

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    :scratchin

Each 24 acts as either a normal receiver or DVR .. just like you have now (but faster). So for the HR24 you have two tuners for recording/live TV and for the H24 you have one tuner for live TV .. Beyond that ..

When you press {LIST} you can watch recorded programs from any DVR in your house that is connected. If you have all 24s for example, each 24 (DVR or non-DVR) will see a listing for all programs on all HR24s. You watch the program as if it were recorded on the box you are using regardless of where the recording is actually located.

You use the local boxes tuners just like you would normally.

13. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Doug,

Thanks I guess I am missing something. My living room HR24 is recording 2 shows so both tuners are working can I watch a live program from the HR24 in another room. I am looking at this as having 4 tuners available to me I guess

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ah, I get the question .. No, you cannot. But, you can fake it by going to the other room and hitting the record button and then come back to the first room and start that program from the playlist.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    MRV is not about watching live tv from another room, its about being able to access your dvr recordings on any of your other MRV capable receivers/dvrs.

16. Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Ok guys I got it now thanks for your answers and kind of figured that would be the case.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If we get DVR to DVR recording, that will be a nice workaround.

18. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Is that a good number to call to reorder service? I canceled about 4 months ago and wife said to get it back.

19. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    From the DirecTV website: Order Now 1-888-777-2454

20. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    You have a wonderful wife;)