1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over the Air locals and the Program Guide

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rootae, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rootae

rootae New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    After upgrading from my Dish 811 Reciever to the ViP 622 DVR I noticed I no longer get the program guide for my local over the air channels. (So I can't use the DVR feature on all my local channels AHHHHH!!!, unless hit record at the right time and manually set the duration)
    In addition to this, using the reciever in Single mode you cannot use the PIP feature with more than ONE over the air local channels. Dish will not admit as of yet that they have a problem here because it deals with local channels. I explained to them that the 811 worked fine in this department!!! They're solution was to sign me up for the locals(which they now offer in HD) for an additional fee. After refusing that because I bought an expensive HD antenna (after much trial and error with the cheap-o's) they're sending a tech out to look at the reciever but I'm not sure what good this will do. Has anyone else encountered this issue?:mad:

2. FLAsathappy

FLAsathappy AllStar

Jul 5, 2006
    If you want the Program Guide for OTA channels, you gotta pay the $5/mo (or whatever) for the locals.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Also... for PIP, you can't possible use PIP for more than 1 OTA channel, because there is only 1 OTA tuner.

You can PIP between 1 OTA and 1 satellite if you have your locals via satellite... but with only 1 OTA tuner there is simply no PIP to swap with.

4. rootae

rootae New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    So, Why did the 811 pick up the OTA channel guide and now the ViP won't? Logic would tell you that if an inferior reciever would be able to pick the channel guide over the air then the other newer one would too...

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Conscious decision on the part of Dish to require the subscription on newer receivers to locals in order to get the guide info. No known technical reason, just a business decision they made when programming the newer receivers.

6. rootae

rootae New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    So if this is a conscious decision by Dish (and where would there be confirmation of this?)... I can't help but think it sets them up for a class action problem? Why even have the antenna hook up on the back if they are pushing subscriptions? I could see a realist argument that every Dish subscriber with this reciever or one that has this bug would be entitled to be reimbursed the cost of their local programing. I don't remember anything in the lease agreement that said the DVR won't work with OTA locals without additional programing.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The DVR works with local channels that don't have EPG.
    It doesn't work as well as it does when EPG is present, but it works.

8. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    rootae.. First off :welcome_s..

If you would have done a little research prior to making the change you would have know about locals being required. The 811 actually is the exception and not the rule when it comes to this fact. Yeah... Lot of people are not happy about it, but it is by no means class action material.

As for PIP only working with one OTA.. Well the 622 has 2 HD/SD dish tuners and one OTA tuners. PIP requires a tuner. THis is not a bug, but a function of the receivers. As far as PIP, the 622s pip features are well beyond what previous receivers like the 921 and 642 and with the PIP side by side feature coming it will even be better. The limitation you speak of is just a fact of what the receiver offers...

As for having the antenna hooked up. The benefit is that I can recorde 2 HD local channels on Dish while recording one local HD OTA channel at the same time and this is something no other receiver in the market can currently do. For me it has come in handy and I consider it a nice feature.

If you don't want to pay the $5 bucks a month.. You have two options.. One, you tell them to take the receiver back or two you record OTA manually. If you have Dish HD locals, subbing to locals for the extra HD locals channels and the ability to recorded more than one is a no brainier for me.

As for the DVR not working with OTA locals. Well that can be argued. Yes you can tune to the channels and yes you can set up manual recording. Yes it is limited this way but people do operate this way and it is functional.

Personally I also came from an 811 to a 622. I am not a fan of this business decision as others are not also. But, it does provide me extra functionality that I am willing to pay the$5 dollars a month for.

Since this is dealing with the pay for local guide area, going to move it out of the support forum. This is not a 622 support issue.

9. rootae

rootae New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Bottom line, I upgraded to this reciever for the DVR capability. I would say that 90% of the programing that I want to DVR is on the OTA networks. It appears to me that this could be solved with a simple software upgrade that exists within the 811 reciever. I'll continue down my path with E* and post the results(if any) here before I bend over and take another 6 bucks a month hit. It's not the money it's principle. Thanks for your insight into this issue.

10. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    WOW! It just show how differently people view the networks. During the "new" season about 25% of our DVR recordings are off the nets. During "re-run season" (which seems to get longer each year) I would bet that it is less than 10% and that is mostly for news programs.

11. shrike3000

shrike3000 New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I am also a 90% DVR from the Local Networks guy. I think it sucks that I have the subscribe to the locals in HD even though I have them OTA working perfectly fine, but I decided to just bite the bullet and do it. The one plus to that is that I can now record 3 Local Network Programs at the same time instead of just 1, since I can record 2 with the sat tuners and 1 with the OTA tuner. In the end it is worth the extra 5 bucks in my opinoin.

12. rootae

rootae New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    So a Dish Installer came out and looked at my setup yesterday. He was astounded that they sent him out on this service call. He agreed with everything that was discussed in this thread, except the fact that I should have to pay additional for something that was allready free. He told me that they will attempt to charge me for the call even though I told the rep on the phone that I didn't see the use in send someone out. Oh, I've been holding onto the old 811 until this issue is resolved and my CC was charged an additional 200 bucks last week because I haven't sent it back yet! Called tech and explained to them why it isn't in there hands yet and I got the "sorry but I have to charge you until we get it back routine"... The saga continues...

13. Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone Godfather

Aug 11, 2003
    If 90% of what you want to record is OTA networks, you may want to reconsider subscribing to locals from E* - especially if your HD locals are available. As Ron mentioned above, with a 622 and a HD local subscription, you are able to record THREE network shows at the same time - one OTA and two satellite.

I used to have a 921, and could not justify a locals subscription just for EPG (same as you - a matter of principal). HD locals changed all of that, and the $5/mo is quickly forgotten when you have this much flexibility. :grin:

Just my $0.02.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.