1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Own sports package, but some channels don't work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dadofmace_and_lex, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    I'm not sure if its the HR20 or D* itself. I purchased the $10 sports package (all the regional sports packs) and there are several that say channel not purchased? What gives?:confused:

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Which ones?

3. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Hmm. Good question. I'll have to check. I think one of them was YES (though there seemed like there was 2 YES's in there (and I'm not in New York). I'll have to make a list tonight.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    No idea.. if it were a program that is simply blacked out (like some programs that are on various RSNs) I'd think you'd get a 'program not available in your area'. Did you call a CSR?

A key question I would ask is what programs were on the channels you couldn't get? I would think specific programs may have been blacked out and if you check the whole list of RSNs in the 600 range, some may now be on that were blacked out earlier. Just an idea.

5. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Setanta Sports is also up there, which is a separate fee.

6. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I have been a 'Sports Pack' subscriber on D* for many years, and that message you are recieving is in fact correct, at least as HR20 reports it. There are many, many programs, and not just games, mind you, that are blacked out outside the DMA in which they are originally aired. These will include 'highlights' shows that contain copyrighted footage originally broadcast from events which cannot be shown again due to licensing restrictions. This is true across the board, from the regional FSNs to YES and NESN.

Remember, this will always occur during a broadcast of a game which is cross-airing elsewhere on a sports subscription channel, (ie Extra Innings, Center Ice) and if they show highlights of said game later.

Prior to having the HR-20, the message was always to call customer service at Ext. 721 to purchase. Now the HR-20 says something similar, that the 'program has not been purchased'. This is true only of that specific sporting event, NOT the channel as a whole. Any subscription to one of the aforementiond subscription sports services will unlock that channel at that particular time, and you won't get that message, you'll see the game. Other than that, YES Network will block such shows as 'Yankeeography', FSN will have many post-game shows blacked out, and so on, for the above mentioned reasons.

Professional sporting programs are still highly blacked out outside their original DMAs, and unfortunately will always be so.

Hope that helps!

7. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    TIE Bomber. Thanks. What I am mainly interested in is watching the SF Giants on FSNBA (which I'm not sure if they consider local for me...I have Sacramento Locals) and I bought the sports package because it didn't seem like it was offered in the regular stuff. They better not be blacking out Giants games. Also, I want to watch the Tigers play on FSD. Now I'm concerned that if the SF Giants games are on Extra Innings or something, that it will be blacked out on my FSNBA? I could call DirecTV, but am hoping one of you might know better. Thanks.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You're not going to be able to watch the Tigers, tha's for sure. As for the Giants, that depends. I don't know if you are considered local for them. If they are not considered your local team, you will have to buy MLB EI in order to see them. That is also the only way you're going to see the Tigers, unless they are on a national station (ESPN, Fox, etc).

9. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks Hilmar. It sounds like since I'm paying $10 for maybe getting to watch the Giants a month for 12 months, that is $120 a year. EI is $160 a year + just another $40 for HD games and the other cool features of SuperFly (er..superfan). It seems to me that EI is a better deal.

BUT...and there always is one. I'm guessing that the EI games for the Giants will be blacked out if they are appearing on FSNBA? Any idea there?

10. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    You should be able to get your local RSN without the sports pack. The sports pack gets you ESPNU, CSTV, etc and all the other RSNs. But your local RSN should be included with Choice or Plus or whatever they are called now.

11. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Hmm. I think I should cancel that sports package then.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I had the Sports Package and cancelled it long ago. I really found no benefit as all of the games are blacked out. The rest of the RSN's programming is very weak, in general. So instead, I am a subscriber of MLB EI, NFL ST, and NBA what ever it is called. Unforunately, I am a Boston sports fan stuck (and I do mean stuck) in NY.

13. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
  14. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006

I have the sports pack for college hockey and the Detroit Sports Report on FSN Detroit. I don't really have time to watch every baseball game, but I like having the highlights and local commentary every night. Plus, I'm on the west coast and most Tiger games start at 4pm and finish about when I get home from work. So I just listen on XM.

If I had more time, I'd definitely have Extra Innings, though.

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I guess you should be offended then. It appears I called college hockey "weak" programming. Sorry about that. :)

16. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    That's what I needed Koz. Thanks. I just called up and cancelled the sports package. Now I have to figure out if I want to pay $200 a year for the fill in the blanks Giants games that aren't on FSN. Hmmm.

17. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Ha ha good stuff. But I will give Hockey one point. HD hockey was out of freaking sight!!!

18. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    No offense taken. Maybe you like watching water polo, which I would find "weak". To each his own. I'm just glad they don't black out the college hockey so I can catch my alma mater every now and then. Go Tech!

19. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Just canceled Sports pack. Koz was right-on.

20. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    What everyone here has said is true. Out of market games, in any professional sport, are only available through the premium sports packages, and unless you are desirous of seeing local college games and general highlights shows, you won't see the Tigers play baseball in your market with just the Sports Pack. You should have an RSN which will allow you to see the Giants in the Sacremento area...but I don't know what the blackout restrictions are outside SF as determined by MLB. They are REALLY strict about such things!

Be sure to get 'Extra Innings', and consider (with the HR20), the 'Super Fan' extra, which is a little more money, however, it will be the only option for watching MLB games in HD (up to 10 a week), plus it will add the 'MLB Gamemix' channel, which will act something like the 'Newsmix' or 'Sportsmix' channels currently do.

Hope that helped dadofmace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.