1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owned not Leased HR20-700 with bad hard drive.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jonny4, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1 of 19
    jonny4

jonny4 Mentor

Jan 6, 2007
    I have read all the posts about replacing the hard drive and that is what I am looking to do.

The question is will it even work?

I have a code 14-706 which seems to mean the hard drive has a bad connection.

If my main o.s./gui data is corrupted will it even copy the info to a new drive or will it be pointless? Is the data on a different data path like the bios of a computer or something? Is it possible to just get a copy of the basic DirecTV software to put on a clean slate hard drive, I am not trying to keep any settings.

The point is I don't want to purchase a new hard drive and have it not work.

I own this receiver and I do not lease it so DirecTV will do nothing. I owned a DirecTV HD10 that I bought at Best Buy with the service plan, well it died and they replaced with a HR20 which I own.

Any advice would be helpful.

2. Jul 8, 2011 #2 of 19
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440&highlight=replace+hard+drive+hr20-700

I have swapped out a couple of hard drives on owned units. It is easy (with the correct tools).

Follow the instructions on the included link. When a new drive is detected, it is formatted and configured for your DVR, so you do not need to save anything from the old driver or get software on the web. I would purchase a Seagate 1TB drive...it has the best warranty around. Also, stay away from "green" hard drives as the power saving features will probably be a negative factor on a DVR.

3. Jul 8, 2011 #3 of 19
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All you have to do is put in the new drive...if the original drive has already failed, you wont likely be able to copy it anyway. These are not like the old Tivo's, you dont need to use any fancy software to "prepare" a drive before installing it.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #4 of 19
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    All you need is a SATA drive and a Torx 10 screwdriver and some patient work with the plastic case tabs. It isn't rocket science.

The firmware isn't on the drive -- it's on the motherboard -- so the "new" unit will boot up and go through the original config process again just like if you had a new box from DirecTV. You will lose all your recordings, of course.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #5 of 19
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you still have the protection plan, Directv will replace the DVR for free and the new one will still be owned. If you don't have the protection plan, they will replace it for ~$20 shipping fee but the replacement will be considered leased. You may get a different model (HR20s are getting a bit long in the tooth).

6. Jul 9, 2011 #6 of 19
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The newer policy is that in the case an owned receiver is replaced without the PP, the customer could be on the hook for the up-front lease fee as well, which can be up to $199.

- Merg

7. Jul 9, 2011 #7 of 19
    jonny4

jonny4 Mentor

Jan 6, 2007
    Spoke to DirecTV today and they swear they can't replace it under the protection plan. Looks like I will just pick up a cheap 1tb next time I see one on sale. Thanks for all your help guys.

8. Jul 9, 2011 #8 of 19
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Whoever you spoke to is wrong. Owned or leased, both are covered the same under the protection plan.

9. Jul 9, 2011 #9 of 19
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That's incorrect. I've had 2 owned receivers replaced under the protection plan. Call back and try again.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Going to reiterate what the others have said. If you have the PP, all of your equipment is covered whether it is owned or leased. The only difference is that if the receiver is owned, the replacement will also be owned.

- Merg

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    In case of replace the drive - take 2 TB, a few dollars more, but size will be doubled.

12. jonny4

jonny4 Mentor

Jan 6, 2007
    I will call back again on Monday, I am not sure if they connected me to the protection plan department, it seems like every other call I don't get them. Another question, if the hr20 has a 320gb hd and is supposed to hold 20 hours of hd would the 1tb say triple it to around 60 hours? I am truthfully also building a htpc at this time and will be recording all of locals with it so I am trying to lower the amount of receivers in the house from 3 to 1, that is why I wanted to get this one fixed, so upgrading the hr20 to hold the most would be feasible to a point. 1tb at 50 dollars is a good price 2tb at 120 seems a bit to high, these aren't on sale prices.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Check Fry's - $79 for 2 TB

14. jonny4

jonny4 Mentor

Jan 6, 2007
    newegg has a samsung 2tb for 70 today, i may jump on it.

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
  16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
  17. jonny4

jonny4 Mentor

Jan 6, 2007
    It was recommended to get a Samsung drive because that was what was in these little buggers. I did not get the Samsung drive the other day because it was a green drive but I picked up today's 1.5tb Samsung drive, it is not a green drive, for 49.99 and I will update you guys if there are any problems with it. I personally don't use anything but Western Digital because they seem to last. This is going to replace the leased hr-22 in the living room and I am also putting a HTPC in there with all my dvd's backed up on it, no I do not share my dvd rips, and 2 other tv tuners to get over the air hd. I am trying to create one central location and stream to other devices in the home, my desktop has DirecTV2PC beta and it works ok with a lot of router tweaks. Thanks for all your all your help everyone.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Who told you the HR's had Samsung drives? Every one that I've ever had was either use WD or Seagate.

19. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    I have had zero luck with the front line CSR's replacing my owned units with similarly owned units under the protection plan. They all want to replace it with a leased receiver. Now I insist on speaking to the access card distribution team and they replace them under the protection plan with likewise owned receivers.