1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owned receiver after paying ATT $135?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JJEZ96, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JJEZ96

JJEZ96 Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    I just received a replacement HR-24 for another HR-24 with a bad hard drive. ATT says I will have to pay $135 if I don't return the bad receiver. If I pay $135 to ATT do I own the receiver? I would like to take the old receiver and hook up a e-sata drive to have it working again and have an extra receiver.

Thanks,

JJ

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, it's still leased.

3. JJEZ96

JJEZ96 Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    Still leased? Explain what I am paying the $135 for, also I am not talking about not having to pay the $7 mirroring fee. I want to be able to decactivate and reactive the receiver as needed.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is a penalty for not returning the receiver. Not a payment that you can keep the receiver and reactivate it when you feel like it.

You may be able to reactivate the receiver at some point in the future. (No guarantee.) But no other customer ever will be able to activate that receiver on their account.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We used to be able to put HRs in a state of suspension, now we can't. The only way you can do that is to deactivate it, keep it and activate it again when you need it. At the very least I'd think you'd have to buy a new access card each time you reactivate it. If you can keep it. Looks like ATT might be changing the way the HRs are handled.

That $135 is the fee for not returning the HR. Has nothing to do with the leased/owned status. That HR will always be a leased HR. That means nobody can buy it from you and activate it.

Rich

6. JJEZ96

JJEZ96 Mentor

Apr 21, 2007
    A penalty, that sounds as if some crime has been committed. If I am paying them $135, that sounds like the cost of their equipment, otherwise it seems the price would be higher. At this point the equipment is defective. I am essentially paying them $135 to keep defective equipment, I am not just giving them a payment to keep a receiver, also it will cost me a hard drive to have it working again. I have no intention of selling it or moving it to another account so no other customer being able to activate won't matter. I have had this receiver for over 8 years, and the one they sent is not new.

JJ

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nothing you can do. The rules are the rules. I find it hard to believe they want the 24s back. Have you called D* and asked if they really want the 24 back?

Rich

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But they will put a new hard drive in it ($20 for a 500GB?) and 'refurbish' it and eventually send it to someone else.

You're leasing the DVR. Per the TOS, you either return it or pay the no-return fee. But if you keep it and pay the fee, good luck getting activated again.

9. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    I had the HDD fail in one of my HR-24's in July and they wanted the old one back then. With just a hard drive swap it's probably still worth recovering for them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understand that. Sticking a new HDD in does seem to re-energize the 24s. Perhaps ATT just decided to refurbish the 24s rather than throw them away. I don't want to see the end of the 24s.

Rich

Bitterman likes this.
  11. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    When the HDD on my 24 failed earlier this summer, I just hooked up an external drive. You might not want to go through the hassle or expense of doing this, but it gave me a ton of extra space and was very simple to do.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They are trying to recover some HR24s, and not recovering others. I'll bet it has to do when the manufacturing date - when it is older than five years or so they probably don't want them back.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm pretty sure, the reason is simple: if DTV HR24 [referb] stock is low, then DTV force people return same model.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It might be the actual manufacturer. I have an HR24-100 that they did not want back.
    I have seen others post that they did not want theirs back either. I have seen several that have the HR24-500 and most if not all of them had to be returned.

Bitterman likes this.
  15. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    I think mine was a - 200?!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

16. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    1 of my hr24's harddrive failed so i put a SSD 1tb harddrive in it and wow its super fast now

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, that's what I see.

Rich

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you don’t return a leased car and they charge you a fee for returning it late that doesn’t change that it’s their car... the only difference is DIRECTV gives up getting back where as a dealer would chase you down for the car.

They might let you just buy it but that is gong to cost more I believe.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Terms of Service - Legal Policy Center - AT&T
    "Unless we instruct you in writing not to return your Leased Equipment, Leased Equipment must be returned in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. If we haven't received your Leased Equipment within 21 days of termination of your Service, or if the Leased Equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard DIRECTV Receiver, each HD Receiver and each Genie Mini, and $135 for each DVR, HD DVR and Genie HD DVR and each Genie 2, so please attend to your Leased Equipment return promptly."

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont agree with that. There are alot of their models they not been recovering for years. I always was under the impression this was done over the phone. I never got a letter telling me not to send it back in. Then again, I own my receivers even my Genie so maybe thats why.