1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owned receiver questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by roadrunner1782, Apr 21, 2009.

1. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I was browsing e-bay and came across a guy selling two HR22's, supposedly owned. Anyhow I saw his location was Fayetteville NC and thought, wow I can get me an owned HD DVR right here in town! He gave me his phone # through e-bay, so when I called for the rec id # he has to get the receivers out of storage to get them. I have no problem with that but my question is how likely is it they are both owned and why in the hell did you pay so much to own two of them? (I know the price since I currently own one HR22). Also, I was thinking maybe it was a commercial account and I believe those have owned receivers (chime in RobertE you know the answer:D). If it was a commercial account can I activate them on my account? I figured I get someone's input here before he calls back with the id#'s and I can call D* to find out what is really going on.

2. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    Buyer beware its a leased receiver
    stay away from Ebay,Craigs list,Back Page and other sites.
    Go through D* you will get it with no hassles and a warranty and if you have the PP youre covered if it fails

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    When you call in with the ID numbers DirecTV can tell you if they are owned or not. Only way they are owned though is if he originally paid $400-$750 for them or they replaced an owned receiver with the protection plan. Otherwise they are leased and you can't activate them. But again, DirecTV is the only way to know for sure.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    While there are a few owned units out there, the general rule is that they are leased until proven otherwise. You'll need the RID to check with DirecTV and even then you won't be sure until you get the actual unit matching the RID provided - nothing to prevent a seller from giving a bogus RID that will clear the call.

Buyer beware.

5. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Trust me I'm not buying anything until he gives me the id # and i confirm with D it is owned and clear to put on my account! I actually was bidding on another HD DVR on e-bay that I had verified with D* that it was in fact owned

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It is possible they were replacements for existing owned receivers under the protection plan they would be owned receivers. But do as you are doing get the RIDs and question D* on the validity of owned and an outstanding balance.

7. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Well the only good thing is I can confirm the id # before buying one of them since he is in my area. Hopefully it will work in my favor but probably not!

8. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Update: I called D* with the id# and the lady in the access card dept. said the rec. was never activated and the lady said her supervisor said it would be leased and I may or may not need to get a new access card! I called the guy back and he said he acquired the receiver through perfect-10 without programming (whatever that means) and it was owned and he would give me a receipt to show D it was owned (whatever, like Directv would care about that) but mentioned he was a dealer and the customer that originally wanted the boxes never got them which is why he wants to get rid of them. He also mentioned the box was still sealed as is the access card inside, and also mentioned he paid 199 (lease) price for it. Doesn't that make it a lease or do dealers get a discount? HELLLLLP!!!!!

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'd stay away from that box. Unless you can return them if they refuse to activate them.

10. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Directv was saying it shouldn't be a problem activating it on my account but I might need a new access card. I'm going to call D* again to see what they say.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    These receivers have never been activated, so they will be leased, and it will be just as if you picked them up from any other retailer. You'll have no problem activating them, but you won't own them, and neither does the guy who has them now. Paying the up-front lease fee does NOT mean you own the receiver.

The only ways to OWN a new receiver that was first activated after March 1, 2006 is to buy it directly from DirecTV, buy an HR21 Pro, or buy one from someone who had an owned receiver replaced with a new owned receiver.

12. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm just going to stay away from purchasing the receiver so I don't have anything to worry about. I called D* back and the guy I spoke to in the access card dept. said the guy selling it was playing a game! That's all I needed to hear to not make the purchase as I am more inclined to believe Directv any day over someone trying to sell something. What really was a deal breaker is the guy at D* said depending on a few factors I may have had to buy a new access card which would have put the price I would have spent right back at what I would spend at Best Buy to purchase (lease) the same HD DVR!

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh I don't know about that. I OWN my R22-200 and it doesn't fall into any of your scenarios.... ;)

14. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    So you're going thru all this to save $20 bucks? Why not just get it at Best Buy or from DirecTV directly. Most you'll pay is $199 ($169 at Costco) and most times you can get DirecTV down to $99 or less depending on how long you've been a customer, if you're upgrading from a Tivo and so forth. I'll never understand why people go thru all this mess with e-Bay with so many possible ways to get screwed and you really don't save much if anything.

Anyway, good luck!

15. mp11

mp11 AllStar

Apr 3, 2006
    Likewise. I purchased my HR20 in Sept '07...and I owned it. :)

16. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    No I was going through this to buy a supposedly owned receiver for $150 instead of the $499 I paid for the one that resides in my living room! I have never purchased a receiver from ebay, but this guy was local and I could deal with him directly instead of buying it through e-bay and the millions of scenarios I may have went through had it been someone out of state. Although you bring up a good point about calling D* to get one. The guy I talked to earlier asked me what was so important about owning the receiver and I simply stated I didn't want the 2 year contract and he told since I wasn't under one if I was willing to do the 2 year commitment I could probably get one for little or no cost.

17. mp11

mp11 AllStar

Apr 3, 2006
    Thats probably true. Its a tradeoff. I personally will never do another 2 yr contract.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Perhaps, but you'd have to be one of a handful of exceptions. I'd bet folks in your situation (whatever it may be that allowed this) are far less than 1% of DirecTV subscribers.

19. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    See, I don't get this paying so much more to avoid a 2 year commitment.

$200 to lease, $500 to own. The early termination fee is $20 per month.
    So if you decide to leave early on the lease you have to leave with 15 months left and you'll pay the same total $500 amount. Thus so long as you stick around at least 9 more months you'll come out ahead by leasing every time. This of course assumes you have to pay full lease price which is rare.

Plus if your leased receiver dies it gets replaced at no cost (well, $20 shipping which you can get out of). Your owned receiver dies you're on your own to replace unless you have the protection plan.

There just is no advantage to owning. Unless you can happen to get one cheap and can get DirecTV to get it listed as owned and not extend your contract. I know some people don't like the commitment but when you do the math it's still cheaper to lease in most cases.

Good luck.

20. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I fully understand there really isn't an advantage to owning over leasing, but if I could pick up an owned receiver cheaper than a leased one I figured why the hell not! I'm actually gonna call D* back tommorrow to see how much they want for a HD DVR. I actually want them to send me a refurb HR20 (even though I hate silver electronics) just because I read on here they're a bit faster than the HR22 I have!