1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owned vs. Leased question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CrazyforYeshua, Mar 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I've read in other threads where someone had a DVR replaced for different reasons, and if the previous one was owned, the new one usually was also.
    D* replaced my R-10 with an R-22 because of the MPEG4 issue, and my R-10 was owned.
    Is the R-22 leased, or owned?

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    When I received a replacement for the H20-600 I had it was owned, however, I didn't get a different STB like you did. I suspect you do own it, but you would need to check to be certain they are charging you a lease or not.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Those models are so differnet from each other I would have to lean towards the new box being a lease.

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    There seems to be some confusion, and I mean that at DirecTV, but my impression has been that if you upgrade a receiver then, even if you owned the original receiver, the new one will be leased. On the other hand, if you replace a receiver, say swapping out a bad owned H20 for a new/rehab'd H20, then the replacement is owned.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    HR10-250 owners had their owned receivers replaced for free and with no commitment, but the replacement receiver (HR2x-series) is leased.

You could have kept your old R10, but of course, you'd have no locals. That was an option; the other was to accept the free lease upgrade.

But think about this: what good is your receiver if you cancel DirecTV anyway? Resale is virtually nothing, and you can't use it for anything else. And the only major "penalties" for leased equipment, which are the up-front fee and the programming commitment, were waived for you. As a lease, if the receiver dies, they'll replace it for the cost of shipping as long as you have DirecTV. With your owned box, unless you had the Protection Plan, you were completely out of luck.

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I'm not so sure about that IIP. When the HR20's first came out I had 2 installed. One was replacing an owned HR10-250 and it is labeled as such. At least it was when I checked last year. Your in the business and would probably know best. But I am pretty sure that's how that was played out.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think it may depend on whether you go through the "normal" CSR or the access card group.
    I've had H20s replaced [that were owned] and "at first" they wanted to convert it [them] to leased, but later by going through the access card group, I've had replacements kept as owned.

8. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Yes, they are charging me for it, that's kinda why I asked. They took out the primary receiver charge, then put it back on.
    I did keep my R-10, only because I had paid for it, I know I can't really use it for anything.

9. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Can someone help me as to why anyone would want to own a DirecTV receiver? Unless you enjoy paying more money over the long term, I just can't for the life of me understand the rationale for owning. Am I just missing something very obvious?

10. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    And while we're at it - since we're on the subject anyway - what's the benefit of having the PP? Sounds like, if a receiver goes belly up they'll replace it anyway, so why pay for the PP?

11. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    The PP also covers the dish, multiswitch, cables and remotes.

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    And the Protection Plan pays for shipping/handling of replacement equipment and onsite service visits.

13. adn

adn Mentor

Apr 25, 2008
    Utah
    The biggest case you'll see where an OWNED unit is replaced with an OWNED unit is ERP under the PP. When D* offers the free swap for locals, it is a lease. But because D* requires it, it should not add a new service agreement .Also if it is an HD upgrade (like a D10 > H20) for locals, HD Access is also not a requirement which it normally would be under lease agreement.

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    It's probably best that you do a search in the forum for Protection Plan (or "Why Protection Plan") or something like that. The point has been discussed several times at length and it would be best that this thread doesn't go down that same road - AGAIN.

15. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Understood. Make it so.

16. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    What do you mean 'because of the MPEG-4 issue'?

Its most likely leased. If you got an R22 because your locals come off the 99/103, and not because your R10 was "broken", then its leased.

17. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Owned or leased, you're going to be charged either the 'leased receiver fee' or 'additional receiver fee'
    These fees arent actually because you lease the receiver, otherwise they wouldnt apply to owned receivers. These fee's, in fact, are associated with sending (mirroring) your programming with other receivers on your account.

If you have one standard receiver, one R10, and one R22, then you'd be charged for 2 receivers.
    If you only had the 1 R22, then you'd be charged for no receivers.
    Whether they are leased, or owned.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm with you.

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    "owned" is a term (or a way around) for keeping the Grandfathered DVR included charge active on your account. I have two HDDVR's when adding the second one(csr) Replaced my MAIN SD Receiver-Stripping my account and my GF STATUS so in order to keep my former Status (csr) changed my HDDVR to owned (on paper) to keep the DVR charge from showing up.

My other 3 Receivers get the $4.99 charge-they don't charge for the (main) on any account leased or owned.

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, grandfathering is not related to owned or leased. One receiver is designated as the primary receiver on your account, and everything is linked to that receiver. If you deactivate the primary receiver (owned or leased), they have to drop everything then add it to a different receiver which typically causes loss of grandfathered features. There are ways to do it where that doesn't happen, so you need to be careful when deactivating a receiver, and make sure you get a CSR who knows what they are doing and does it properly.