1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OWNING for Guest Room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mashandhogan, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Let me get this straight: If I get an owned reciever, can I activate it and deactivate it on my account as many times as I wish without returning the equipment or access card??

Also, when you call DTV to get a new access card, do you have to have the previous card (because the one on eb* I am looking at doesn't [or at least I think])

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes.
    No.

3. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Will D* charge me by the day?

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    For service? Nope.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Different discussion and not relevant to the OP

Yes, basically (at least that's how it worked a couple of years ago, when I used to do it).

If you activate for $5 per month and then deactivate it 3 days later, you'll get a $4.50 credit.

6. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I am asking, how will theycharge the "mirroring fee.", which would be $0.16/day if my research is correct (partial month charge)

7. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    THANK YOU:)

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't understand your meaning. Should be a partial credit on your bill.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Remember, when shopping for a used receiver to always check the receiver ID with the access card distribution team (ACDT). Often, whoever first answers the phone at DIRECTV insists they can help with this, and more often than not, they give inaccurate, incomplete, and just downright wrong information. Make sure you are talking to the access card distribution team when calling. If the first person you talk to won't transfer you there, call back and speak to someone else that will.

The receiver must have a receiver ID
    The receiver must have been owned on the last account it was active on
    The receiver must disconnected, no longer receiving programming service
    The last account the receiver was on must be in good standing and not past due or in collections

Make certain the agent is looking at the last active account. Some agents are new, and even though they should know better, they sometimes mistakenly think if it was ever leased or ever on an account in bad standing ever in its life it is no good. This is completely incorrect thinking. If all four above are good, then you will be able to use it.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have an owned receiver in our guest bedroom as well and activate/de-activate it as needed. D* only charges me the days I have it activated. Same thing with my Sat-Go portable system when we go on camping trips.

11. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    The CSR (I think I was in the access card department) ran the number and said it would be a good piece of equipment

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Good. :)

Don't be afraid to double check either. :D

13. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I just ordered a D10, (I am moving soon, and that will be a SWM setup). Will DTV still activate a Nonswm reciever on an SWM setup. (I plan to use two dishes) (I'm too cheap to buy a SWM8:D)

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So it is Prorated. Good to Know.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Its pretty quick too.
    I temporarily deactivated one receiver two weeks ago and on my bill that came today, the partial month's credit was already there.

Now that's great service.

16. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Do you have to return the access card everytime you deactivate the reciever?

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    No

18. hidefman

hidefman Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    The D10 can be setup on the SWM's legacy port. Not sure if it is officially supported that way, so tech might not do it. If allowed, you should be good to go if the installer will do that.