Pac-12 Regional Networks

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chihuahua, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Are there any plans for Dish Network to add the Pac-12 Network's regional channels any time soon?

2. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    no. You can stream them from Pac 12 site though.

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    We are consumers just like you. DISH doesn't reveal their plans to us but continue reading the forums if it happens it will be posted. Just don't hold your breath.

4. Dec 2, 2018 #4 of 14
    tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Back in August, the uplink report picked up the “testing” of SVOD versions of each regional channel. Around October, the “hidden” status was removed and the SVOD channels were labeled with a unique (undefined) channel type. About the same time, a Pac12 on-demand network app appeared on the Dish Anywhere mobile app. Oddly, it has never shown any content except one Cal ‘Football in 60’ show from last September. It’s quality was pretty poor leaving me with the impression they were testing it. It’s still out there 2 months later, no additional on-demand content has every been added to it, and nothing has ever shown up on the Hopper that I could find. It’s been 3+ months so I’m starting to think nothing will ever come of it.

Yet, there are the SVOD uplink reports and that on-demand app sitting out there waiting for something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Dec 2, 2018 #5 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Testing is testing. Not all tests lead to a released product offering. And sometimes DISH dosesn't bother to go back and "clean up" the test channels.
    I like the concept of what they appear to be testing. But testing is just testing.

6. Dec 2, 2018 #6 of 14
    tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    And just like that the Cal ‘Football in 60’ show is gone. The app is still there....now with no content. It was there just a few days ago. They’re probably just dinking around with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Found something very interesting playing around with Dish Anywhere App on the Fire TV. stick I have Within the APP you can stream the Pac 12 regional channels. The cool thing about it is that its a TV app. The bad thing is that the quality of the Pac 12stream sucks. It's not the device itself because every other streaming channel comes in fine, but it's like the screen is in a fog.

I really do not use the Fire much, it's on our living room TV and it's my last choice of streaming devices....but but for all those overflow games and basketball games on the regionals this is convenient. Those games that don't quite end before the next one comes on. The option I have been using is doing the Pac 12 app from my phone to the Chromecast, which works, but is a pain in the bottom to use.

I also found this in DISHAnywhere.com as a streaming channel too... but not the Hopper box

8. tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Interesting find. I hadn’t been looking at the DishAnywhere steaming device apps. On my FireTV, I see the Pac12 shell app but don’t see any content in it (very much like the mobile app). Curious if you still see the regionals on yours.

I did go to DishAnywhere.com using Chrome on my iPad. I see the regionals listed but they won’t launch. Could be an iPad thing. I’ll try it on my laptop later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jan 3, 2019 #9 of 14
    WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Sorry - was out of town over the holidays.

Yes - it is still there.

On your FIRE TV Dishanywhere App:

1. Hit Guide
    2. Once guide comes up, hit down button. It makes a new bar across the top. You will see "ALL SHOWS MOVIES SPORTS KIDS LIVE STREAM"
    3. Hit Live Stream. Brings up several live stream channels, including all the Pac 12 regionals.

10. tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I finally got around to trying this. I found it this time. No wonder I didn’t see it before. It takes a lot of convoluted navigating to get to it. I like the idea of having these available on the big TV without needing airplay or chromecast.

The quality at first is pretty poor but it seems to clean itself up after about 10 seconds. Once it does, the quality is ok, but not as good as HD via satellite. It’s similar - but quite as good - to what you see via SlingTV. It looks like they could be streaming only 30fps (instead of 60fps). The bitrate might also be low.

It’s interesting that no marketing of this has taken place. I subscribe to SlingTV just for these channels. Costs $30/month to get the package that includes them. I’ve been waiting to see what Dish was planning on doing with the SVOD uploads from last fall in hopes of saving myself that $30. One cool thing that SlingTV offers is on-demand streaming of all shows/events from the last 3-4 days. So far Dish isn’t doing that, but it has those empty on-demand shell apps sitting around. Anyway.....wondering if this is all we should expect from those SVOD uplinks. Will now need to decide if I should pull the plug on SlingTV.

11. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Yes, it is buried in there - and in time it does clean up some, but the feed is not great.

You pay Sling for these channels? You can view them with your DISH credentials at Pac-12.com by logging in. You can use the Google Chromecast to mirror it to your TV. This is a hassle, but it can be done.

What I find really odd is that the DISH stream of the regionals is about 50 second behind the direct Pac 12 stream of the regionals. This is one thing I hate about streaming live sports - the delays. But I don't get why the DISH Anywhere stream is so far behind in time delay.

I so wish the Hopper had a direct link to this, like Netflix or the others. Why can't DISH put this functionality directly in the Hopper, together with ESPN 3 (or whatever they call it now) and other live sports streaming channels. (or for that matter, why can't DISH simply put the regionals on satellite? Basketball season has a lot of games we're missing that are not on the main channel).

I also wish that DISH had a DISHAnywhere app on the Roku. The Fire TV is cool and all, but it's just not a good product.

Maybe in time DISH finds a way to service its customers better. I know I have thought about dumping DISH and going to Sling or other products. I just might in time.

12. tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I’m also hoping Dish streams these via the Hopper. Would be much easier to navigate there and get them. I’m sure Dish doesn’t want to allocate limited satellite bandwidth to carry them because the extra viewership wouldn’t be substantially more than what is accomplished via just the national feed. Dish doesn’t pay extra for the regionals....it’s one price whether you carry one, some, or all of them. So that’s not the issue. I like that Dish is trying to provide them via SVOD. Seems like a good compromise. But it’s taking them forever to do whatever it is their going to do and the video quality needs to be improved.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  13. tobsandmags

tobsandmags New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Also, I found them on the DishAnywhere mobile app in the same LiveStream area in the guide section. Not as big of a deal there since I can also get them on my iPad via the Pac-12 app.

14. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Yes - they are there also.