1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper user manual

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by greywolf, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Page 6 of my manual says the HR20 cannot record OTA programs. What's up with that? The same page says the user can watch and record three programs at once. That's poor wording for an ability to record two while watching one earlier recording. References in two places regarding instructions for programming the remote give two different page numbers for those instructions, neither of which are correct. The number at the bottom of my last printed page is 502-2002040.

2. cjr

cjr Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    You got an old one. The one in the box was 502-20020401.

The manual still sucks though. Its for someone who never had a DVR let alone a Tivo.

No spec sheet so everything is speculation or per Earl.

D* needs to have a spec sheet, software release notes, and a "how to/FAQ" section for those that have had the HR10 for the last couple of years. If not in the manual itself, then on the web.

3. cjr

cjr Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    Page 6 under Satellite IN 1 states "...giving you the ability to watch and record up to three programs at once (two from the satellite, and one from the Off-Air In)."

So you can record OTA but it does apparently contradict Earl's 2 OTA tuner spec.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    So does the record 3 things..

The manual will need to be updated at some point.

Release notes will be making it here to this forum (those are official Release notes in the Release note section)

Following this 0xBB release, we will be putting the release notes for the unit.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The manual included with mine also has numerous pages that are referenced wrong.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Mentor

Jan 12, 2006
    I noticed you two are not in the LA area, How did you get the HR020 already? Are you guys testers like Earl?

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Both LitzDog and Greywolf spend time on forums.directv.com
    They are part of the "Techknow" group.

Those users/posters where offered an opportunity to get an HR20 during the first wave of units (Even though they are outside LA)

8. cjr

cjr Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    It's very interesting that there are different versions of the manual out there within the first week. LA gets one version out of LA a different version/older version. Editing on the fly in El Segundo.

9. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    I asked about the page 6 issues via email to the DirecTV Forum people and received the following:

Hi Greywolf,

I was told that the passage your are referring to is actually saying you cannot record OTA if the receiver is off even though you can watch OTA with the receiver off. The OTA will pass through, but with the unit off recording functions are unavailable. Once ATSC is activated it will be able to record 3 shows at once. Two until then via the sat inputs.

Thanks,Bernadette

DIRECTV Forum Support

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

I am still not sure that is even the right answer.
    From what I have been told by my contacts (some of which are part of the HR20) team...

It is going to be a NET of 2 recordings.

11. dthoman

dthoman Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I agree this manual stinks especially, if one has never used a DVR before. I never had the H20 before either.

I have the SD DVR and the HR10-250.

The manual needs to go more into detail on how to operate the DVR. Nothing was stated about in order to go to the same place in a recorded program you must hit the "exit" button verus the stop button. Logic states that if you are using the FF button and RR and play button on the remote to navigate through a recorded program then you would also use the stop button to end watching the recorded program. No you hit "exit" in order to go back where you left off.

I don't know about numbers at the bottom of the last written page, but I seem to recall a written date showing a month and a year (i.e. 5/06)

12. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You will find that over time, as more software updates come out..
    The manual will not cover every function in the unit.

Will they have an updated manual? not sure.

But the manual we have is significantly more detailed then the one that came with the R15.... and it probably was by design the manual doesn't go into serious depth that you might expect.

Have you tried the On-Screen HELP that is available on the HR20?

13. dthoman

dthoman Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I did see the on sceen help. I'll have to check it out. I just kind of figure it was useless. I really don't use on line help that comes with computer programs either. I like flipping through a hard copy first and then using as a reference tool as things come up.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    This is the place where eventually any new features and items that are not in the manual are going to be updated. Not sure how up to date it is today, but that is the eventual purpose of the section.

15. HD in LA

HD in LA AllStar

Aug 27, 2006
    I have Rev. 1.0b - HR20.060508 and at the end of the book PMT502-200241Q
    My manual has the same inaccurate page references, too.

16. 911medic

911medic Godfather

Aug 28, 2006
    Looks like the same version available on-line: ww.directv.com/see/pdf/060508HR20UserGuidev1_0b.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.