1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents sue district for kicking son out of Sequoia High honors class for cheating

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Apr 30, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Mercury News:

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    In other news, I stubbed my toe (not tow) the other day.

3. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    who are you going to sue?

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That seems about right. Punishing him in later years was a bit harsh. Family should have taken the offer and gone on.

I went to a private school and with this level of offense, you were gone. Kicked out. Done.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I never take pledges signed at gunpoint seriously. Has anyone ever declined to sign such a pledge, other than people whose religion may prohibiit it?

In fairness to the school, I suspect that cheating through plagerism is now a big, big headache for them to police just because so much adaptable content is readily available on the internet.

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    It does sound like the penalties for infractions were confusing. Although, the school provided an adequate offer in my opinion. I think that the case is frivolous and should be thrown out, but alas we will have to see what transpires, eh?

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    All the pledge really does is a way for the school to show documentation that you agreed to the rules and regulations for enrolling in the class. If you don't sign the pledge, they don't let you enroll in the class.

He (and his mother) signed an agreement on what is required for him to stay in the class. He broke that agreement.

- Merg

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Forget the pledge for a minute... it might not be enforceable anyway, especially since a minor can't legally sign many kinds of contracts... but forget all that...

The kid cheated... was caught cheating... and freely admits to the cheating.

Should someone who cheats, especially if caught and admitting it, be able to stay in the honors program?

We're not talking about violating a rule by accident or not understanding a rule... I can't say everyone in my first grade class understood (many of them had problems understanding the concept of taking turns in games)... but at some point fairly early on... every kid knows that if you are assigned homework and you don't do it yourself (especially if you outright copy the work of someone else)... then you cheated.

A sophomore claiming to understand that this might be a bad thing on his record has a tough time, if you ask me, explaining how he didn't willfully cheat.

I'm not saying his life should be ruined over it... but if they allow him to cheat and stay in the program, then what's the point of school at all? He could just copy everything from someone else and not learn anything.

It's hard to feel sorry for any student, much less an honor student, caught cheating.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1

- Merg

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The concept of "Honor and Duty" are lost these days, but for a few.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ditto on both.
    Now the lovely parents have ensured notoriety for the child. Yuck.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok, I am failing to see the problem here.

13. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    If I had done so, I would have been terribly embarrassed to have ANYone know I cheated. My parents wouldn't have had to do anything to make me want to sink through the floor if caught.

I know some really good kids, but the majority have no shame and no sense of responsibility.

And I'm not sure how many "opportunities" this kid might have in the future anyway--he's so dumb he copied the paper of someone in the same class!! :D

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think the school made a good offer. However, what about this part of the article:
    If this is accurate, then the student shouldn't have been kicked out of the program (even though allowing for two cases of plagiarism before serious punishment is way too leinient).

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Do you mean you fail to see a problem with the Dad suing the school or the the school punishing the kid for cheating?

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The school punishing the kid for cheating.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Don't you know how this works? Pledges, rules and promises only apply to other people and their kids. Elitist people feel "If me or my kid get in trouble, everyone is supposed to forget about it and pretend it didn't happen."

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I almost said that...

When I was in school, someone cheated on me in computer class... I had left my computer with my disc to go to the computer with the printer (yeah, we only had one printer back then in school)... and when I turned my back, a neighbor put his disc in and saved my program.

He changed a few things... but forgot to rename the file... and all of our filenames contained out initials... and by then the teacher knew how I wrote code enough to recognize my code anyway.

It was both sad and amusing to hear the teacher scolding the student... I'm pretty sure I actually hear him say "and you didn't even change the name of the file"! :)