Passcode?.? This is the last straw!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Altcool, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    Hi everyone I've been a premier subscriber since 2004. I received an email this morning stating that my bill will go from $200 to over $250 a month. When I called the AT&t retention number I found on another post I was told they cannot access my account until I physically went to an AT&t store to get a pin?.? Never had a pin was told there was no other way to access my account I could not even cancel my account what is going on at AT&t?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What number?

Real odd that you have to go to a store. I've been able to reset my account on a credit card without that much hassle.

3. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    1-800-531-5000
    Enter account number.
    When asked what your calling about.
    -Cancel
    Programming or services?
    -services
    Moving?
    No

There is no reason whatsoever as long as your the authorized user on the account they cant verify you over the phone.

Only reason you would have to go into an ATT store to verify would be if the account owner is incapacitated and can't authorize you, then they would have to see photo ID in store.

When they rolled DTV accounts over to ATT accounts it caused alot of headaches with the PIN verification. If you have set up one up they can usually reset using security questions or answering questions about account.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    As suggested Start with 800-531-5000 - If your Account Was Changed to AT&T - They will Let you know What to do if that is the case!

5. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    My 85 year old father in law wanted to unlock his iPhone and move to the T-mobile 55+ plan but couldn't remember his AT&T pin. Even after several trips to the AT&T store they could/would not help him. A T-mobile employee, who used to work at AT&T finally was able to reset his AT&T pin (even though he was not supposed to) and get him unlocked and switched over. It really doesn't need to be this hard for existing customers with proper ID. Some of it is system problems and some of it is the unwillingness of employees to help a customer who wants to switch!

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When our account was transitioned I had to setup a pin number the first time I called. I am asked for that number every time I call. Never had to go to a store.

Rich

ericknolls and WestDC like this.
  7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here. But sounds like he has to go to the store to reset his password.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If your account was converted from the legacy DirecTV system to the AT&T billing system you have to set up a 4 digit security passcode the first time you call after the conversion.

They are supposed to set up a security question & answer in the event you forget the passcode. The third and last resort is they attempt to call a valid phone number on the account (AT&T calls a Can Be Reached [CBR] number). If method two or three is successful the CSR is *supposed* to reset the 4 digit passcode.

If there is no CBR on file and the first two methods of authentication fails then you have to go to an AT&T store with your ID (i.e. Driver's license) to reset the passcode/security question. The agent is only allowed 3 attempts to authenticate the account with you before the AT&T system locks them out and tells the agent to tell you to go to an AT&T store.

All AT&T systems uses passcodes to verify the caller as a way to prevent fraud, social engineers, etc. DirecTV's system does not unless the account holder specifically asks to put a "password" on the account which could be anything (letters and/or numbers) as long as it isn't vulgar. The DirecTV system doesn't require a password to be set up but strongly encouraged.

Rich and ericknolls like this.
  9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    The passcodes are not designed to inconvenience you they are meant to keep your account secure from fraudsters, social engineers, etc who may have basic info about you (i.e. your name and address). I personally forgot both my passcode, security question/answer and forgot to update my phone numbers on my wireless account one time. So I just went to the nearest AT&T company owned store showed them my driver license and they reset my passcode and security question/answer no problem.

AZ. likes this.
  10. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    Thanks for the reply's. Yes this was the first time calling in sense my account was switch over to ATT, there for never had a pin hence my frustration. I called back a few hours later, was never asked for a pin and within 5min had my account payment back down to $200...

WestDC likes this.