1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password protect a program?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Jul 13, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Is there anyway to password protect a program on a windows computer? I want it so that when somebody attempts to open it, a prompt comes up asking for a password.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Might depend on the version of Windows...

In any event, you can password protect a folder, so IF you can't protect the file... you could protect the folder that it resides within and that would serve the same purpose.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Its 64 bit Windows 7. I need to either be able to install a second version of firefox with a different profile and password protect it, or install Chrome and password protect it. I also need Windows to act normally, just like it always does, unless that program/file it clicked on.

4. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I use a program called Lockbox to password protect a sensitive folder on my work computer. I'm not sure if an executable file can be password protected like that...

5. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Why not just create a user profile and password protect that? Each user has a different FF profile.

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    He wants to be stealthy.

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    If you're in a corporation, you probably don't want to do that. I'm betting it's against your company's policy. Besides, I'm betting you don't have admin rights and wouldn't be able to do what you want anyway.

If you're a small company, or it's YOUR company - never mind!

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

Create a file or partition and then just encrypt/protect it then mount/open when you want to use that version.

Of course this doesn't stop being stealthy at all if people know what they're doing so I guess it depends on what it is your really attempting to do. If you're attempting to have some anonymity on your browsing then you need to do more than just have a spare version that people can't use.

If your goal is to just have it so that people can't use the autologins there are better ways to do that as well.

So there are better options depending on what the end goal really is.

11. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    If you just want anonymous browsing, FF (and most modern browsers) have a Private mode (aka pr0n mode) where your history isn't tracked.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It's not really private if one knows where to look. However since the OP never came back to state what he was attempting to do it's just speculation.