1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password reset by my son

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by dadaglio, Oct 14, 2009.

1. dadaglio

dadaglio New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I have the VIP 612 and have locked it with passwords no one knows but me. However, my son is capable of unlocking the system. I have talked to Dishnetwork's tech support two times and they insist it is impossible to unlock it without them sending a signal. They have told me such signal has never been either requested nor sent. I have set up passwords 3 times that no one knows it but me. It is impossible it has been discovered by simple trial and error in such a short time. Can anybody help me understand how this can happen and if it can be prevented?

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Really? :rolleyes:

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Sounds like someone in due for a good hide-tanning and total ban from TV for six months or so.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is only a four digit number ... with sufficient time 10,000 combinations isn't impossible. There is no lockout for multiple failed attempts (at least none I have hit). If your password is based on numbers he could guess it would make it easier for him. If he is motivated enough he may have just worked through it.

There is no way I know to reset the password without knowing it or calling DISH.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps he used Internet and found how to get into Memory Dump ;).

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Instead of telling us or Dish, you need to talk to your son, whether he's 3, 13 or 30. If you have already told him "no", then he is being disobedient and that calls for discipline on your part.

It's past time to 'parent up'.

:rolleyes:

7. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    How do you know this for sure?

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, a Duo receiver must be locked from both TV1 and TV2 separately. Perhaps that's the problem.

9. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    If you provide more details about the problem perhaps better suggestions can be made. Did he actually unlock the receiver? Or was he able to access some parts of the system you believe should have been protected by the password? Or was he able to change the password? Tell us exactly what he was able to do that you believe he should not have been able to achieve. What mode is your receiver in? Did he change from single to dual mode and then access TV2? Or if it was in dual mode to start with which TV was he using?

10. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    BINGO! I locked it downstairs, but there is no affect upstairs on my 722.

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    OP, is using a ViP612, not a duo, so..... I think his son is smarter than he thinks.

12. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I think he is working for the CIA! Have you noticed any strange checks to him in the mail? Check his closet for a cloak and his dresser for a dagger!

13. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    9 days and the OP still only made this one post. I think we've been trolled! ;)

Or, maybe it was the son who posted hoping someone would explain how to do it so he could really get away with it. :O

14. RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    I was thinking something along those lines when this thread first started.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Such thread cames up on regular basis and each time ppl reacting in same manner.