Patty Duke, child star and Oscar winner, dead at age 69

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 29, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Hollywood Reporter Patty Duke, Oscar Winner and Sitcom Star, Dies at 69:

She was too young and still very active with frequent appearances on TV shows and a movie in post-production. RIP

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Wow, sepsis. I always hope someone goes painlessly in their sleep.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized Sean Astin was her son, and while there was a complicated family relationship, it sounds like it was a remarkably good one. Sean has said that he has his own father/son relationship with Desi Arnez Jr, his biological father Michael Tell, his adoptive father John Astin and Patty's husband until her death, Mike Pearce.

If only things always went that well.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    She was a rare talent......R.I.P. Patty

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    If I had four rich and famous fathers, I bet I'd get along with them all, too.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sean hasn't done too badly for himself either.

6. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    RIP Patty. We who knew you, loved you. You will be missed.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I don't use the term "child star" when characterizing the career of someone who got her first major award at age 16 and then a couple dozen more awards and nominations as an adult. BTW, the actor who played her high school boyfriend on The Patty Duke Show, Ed Applegate, turned 30 years old by the beginning of that show's third and final season.

Melody Patterson was fifteen when she was putting the moves on Captain Parmenter, and I don't think of her as a child star, either. Otherwise, I'd have to think of myself as a would-be child molester.

1 person likes this.
  8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I normally think of "child stars" as those who did not succeed beyond childhood. Patty Duke was still appearing in TV and movies. She did start as a child ... 16 is young enough.

1 person likes this.