1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paula no longer on Idol

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 18, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to this LA Times article, Paula Abdul may not be back on 'American Idol" which is, I guess, a threat to the show's well being?
    Or are Simon's and Ryan's contracts so high they can't afford her?:sure:

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Her not being involved won't hurt the show in the least. You could replace her or Randy or Kara and it would have no effect, IMO.

3. 506PIR

506PIR Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    Wonderful news. Now maybe I can get through a minute of that show :lol:

4. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I'll still watch :) Besides, it usually works out perfectly that the 30 second slip button skips her rambling anyway since I never watch the show live :lol:

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Maybe that will kill the ratings and they'll finally cancel it....

6. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I hope so

7. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Shock! Horror! How ever will they replace her?
    ;)

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Sounds like a good spot for some "Hogan's Heros" episodes.

9. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    And to think that people think she has sobriety issues when she rambles on and on and on about nothing. Also, seems when I have seen her, which I avoid at all costs, she is acting like she wants to get laid by any and all of the male tryouts on the show. Is she THAT hard up? :D

If Paula departs, people I know would miss her almost as much as they would a toothache, a 'roid, etc. , yep, that much. Randy and Ryan are in the same boat, they are pretty worthless, IMO, as well. The brit guy is the only one who is not tone-deaf, as far as I can tell.

My wife has me record this show for her, but it has the absolute lowest rank on the DVR it records on...... anything and everything takes precedence over it, so its seldomly heard in this house anyway.

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Both females need to go. I won't miss Paula. I would like to see Joan River as a judge, that would be a hoot. Well, I would prefer just to hear her, not "see" her.:lol:

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The fact that they have renewed and extended SImon's contract, as well as Ryan's, but not Paula's should be pretty obvious.

They are likely going in another direction.

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Personally, I would like to see the show replace everyone (including Ryan) except Simon.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Never watched it, never will, can't stand the hype around it, but I'll say this. On shows like this it would probably be better to change the entire panel every season. Then the focus would be on the competitors and not on making celebrities out of the panel members.

14. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Except the show wouldn't be the same each year. We may like to think the show is about the contestants, but Simon's kinda right .. The show is all about him. Everyone else is just there to suit his fancy (or not).

Interesting that Paula may be out .. Not entirely unpredicted, though. I liked Kara in her rookie year. Kick Paula, keep Kara and just go from there.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you consider addiction to pain killers a "sobriety issue." Paula looked significantly better this past year, so from a layman's perspective, I think she may have kicked the habit. I say good for her and I wish her well in her future projects.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I've liked Paula's "kookiness" over the years, so I'll miss that if she's not back next season. I'm not sure I like Kara, but as I've said in other threads on AI, I watch for the singers, not for the judges.

17. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Well, this shouldn't be a shock as the rumors began the second that Kara was hired. The panel will have a different energy w/o her, for better or worse. And for those that want the show gone...it's going nowhere for at least the next three years as its a cash cow and the main players all have contracts.

18. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Joan River?

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I think Kara is capable of filling any minuscule gap Paula's departure would represent.

No big loss, if it turns out to be the case.

20. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    She is a comedian, with very bad plastic surgery. But she is hilarious and might give Simon a run for the money. Actually, I was just kidding.:rolleyes: