"Pause" Functionality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV NFLSupercast Discussion (private)' started by scuba_tim, Aug 19, 2008.

1. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    From Doug's notes:
    Seems to me, this really isn't pausing, but stopping. I tried it a few times in the Air Client (0.2.4) and even for short moments (~10 sec), the video jumps ahead, and to the live stream.

My suggestion for a simple fix: replace the pause button with a stop button. This should remove the expectation of going back to a live stream. What do you think?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yes I totally agree pause is a little misleading

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    +1

4. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I am guessing this is a limitation with Adobe Air?

5. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    Maybe, but really a pause function would be getting into network dvr ground, and that's cables business. :lol:

And even if it is Air's limitation, DirecTV can address it by creating a clear GUI. Pause makes you think that the playback begins where you paused at. That's how pause has worked in every device I've seen (though my age only goes back to cassettes, not 8tracks).

Of course, stoping and starting is almost the same thing. Maybe they need to get rid of the play button all together.

6. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    This is an interesting design element question. I agree that the expectation of a pause button (at least to an oldster like me who can remember when pause buttons actually came into being with cassettes) is that the stream stops and resumes where it left off. So, it's confusing in that regard.

However, if we look at the current UIs (like iTunes for example) the stop button is gone, and only play/pause are present. In this case, the player actually stops when the pause button is pressed and playback resumes from the point where the song was stopped. Not sure how streaming is handled, and what sort of buffering is being done.

7. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    While it may be technically possible to nab the stream and pause it, I am betting NFL wont allow it, too close to providing clean digital content that could be misappropriated.

8. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    +1 on replacing the pause with a stop button

9. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    Instead of calling it stop,how about an interrupt button?

10. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    They Listen, they really really listen!!! :)

Just opened the Air client 1.0.1 and the Red Zone has a baseball game on. Well, look at the Pause button. Oh wait, there is not pause button! It's a stop button!!

Nice job DirecTV, glad we're helping!!

11. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    Just looked at the Web Client, and the Stop Button lives there as well. Nice!

12. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Very cool adjustment on the "pause" to "stop" button. Very nice