1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay-TV Companies Are in Crisis Mode

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by mjwagner, Oct 13, 2017.

1. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I posted some time ago that the trickle would quickly turn into a flood. Honestly, I didn't expect it to happen this fast. I had my D account on hold for 6 months while I tested out PSVue along with Netflix and HDHomerun for my viewing requirements. That combination far exceeded what I need, and nets me about $70 per month in savings. Finally cancelled D and returned my recvrs. OTT solutions won't work for everybody, but it looks like it is for more and more.

Pay-TV Companies Are in Crisis Mode

Gloria_Chavez likes this.
  2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Glad the services work for you. I tried almost all of them at one point or another but never found one I liked well enough to cut the cord. And because of what I want to watch they didn't end up saving me money either.

I did make a change this year though. My cable provider made me an offer I couldn't refuse! Basically I have every channel they offer, including all the premiums for $80/month more than what I was paying them for internet service. It helps that I own my Tivo equipment with lifetime service, but even if I paid for annual Tivo service, it would still be cheaper than either D* or E* at the same level of service.

3. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Yesterday, ATT warned that it will report a decline of 300k satellite subs for 3Q17, a significant decline from the 323k increase reported for 3Q16.

And I blame the sports tax. How is ESPN responding? As its carriage deals lapse, its asking for an INCREASE in the annual price hike to make up for the fewer subscribers that receive ESPN

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    ESPN, and its imitators, are the cause of all of these issues. Its delusional massive over-bids, most particularly for the niche NBA (91% of Americans do not watch it at all, which includes most sports fans), caused people to look for alternatives and the Market responded.

Take away the "sports tax" and problem solved.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That 390 thousand loss is a net of only 90,000. They lost 390,000 from DirecTV and U-Verse combined but gained 300,000 in the DirecTV Now platform.

Comcast's losses are attributed mostly to the Hurricanes that destroyed lines and customers houses recently.

6. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    That is certainly the Spin they have been putting on the numbers. Maybe yes, maybe no, sounds like whistling in the graveyard to me but time will tell. I don’t think any of them are going out of business anytime soon, but I do think the days of $130+ monthly bills, mostly padded by per receiver and other extra fees are coming to an end sooner than the sat or cable providers would like. You can be certain that they will continue to “milk” their existing subscriber base for as long as they can get away with it.

js12278 and jimmie57 like this.
  7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think you are still underestimating the coming price explosion streaming is starting to have. In two years people will be going nuts when they find out how much disney streaming services will cost. People who think Netflix does it all will be sad when they find out Netflix is going to be hbo at its best in five years. Then add universal to the Disney direction. And then WB. And Sony. And so on. It won’t be cheaper that way in a couple years and once their is an euqlaibriun then you’ll have a splinter of two groups. Ones who buy small packages and keep switching which one they have every few months and then others who stick to the cable style offerings.

Losing a couple million is nothing to att right now. And they barely lost 90k. Until we see sustained losses and their subscriber base drops to 15 million this really isn’t the sky is falling situation many think it is.

And remember any one moving from att Uverse and also Lilly from DIRECTV to DIRECTV now is probably costing them less money every month meaning they are likely making more money on people who make the switch to DIRECTV now. So that alone also makes up for some of those 90k people they lost.

And churn has always been present. They always lose thousands of customers each month.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    There is only one winning solution to this scenario: DON'T PLAY. The only streaming service I have is through Amazon Prime. I'm on a minimal package with DirecTV, and I really would like to cancel. I hardly have time for television thanks to work.

9. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    People always talk about price as being the main driver, but no one ever mentions the elephant in the room. Basic cable sucks. I realized I was paying about $60/mo + another $20 or so in equipment fees for non-stop commercials, interrupted briefly by shows about tiny houses, little people, Kardashians, Pawn shops, etc etc. And I did this solely to get to the good stuff like HBO & locals. Now that I can get those directly I am no longer hostage to a package of crap. You literally could not pay ME to watch these channels. Yet somehow they expect people to fork over increasing piles of money for it.

I just find it odd that the industry blames streaming, costs, etc without ever considering that people maybe don't want to watch all this reality dreck and commercials. I have no problem paying about as much for my streaming bundles as I did for cable. Because it's a better experience. And unlike cable, it can be dropped on a moment's notice if it ceases to be.

10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
  11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Poor journalism ... that story is a "hey, look what I read on the Internet" regurgitation ... for example:
    "“Due to higher costs of programming, the monthly rate for the below services will increase on January 21, 2018, and the changes will appear in billing statements starting on that date,” AT&T reportedly said in a statement."

AT&T posted that on their website (link in the appropriate thread on this forum). No need to treat it as a rumor. That sort of error casts doubt on the entire article. The alleged DirecTV NOW price increase is speculation being treated as fact. Messy.

People should EXPECT DirecTV Now to go up in price ... along with Sling TV and any other streaming provider. The rights to the content that they provide (especially traditional cable channel content) are not getting cheaper year to year. Expecting streaming costs to never rise is naive.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's weird how some think the industry is going to suffer. Our local cable company is Comcast/Xfinity. Our local high speed internet company is Comcast/Xfinity.

They've always had competition. But Comcast owns NBC/Universal which owns (from Wikipedia):

Subsidiaries
    • Internet Platform
      • Hulu is a joint venture of NBCUniversal, Fox Entertainment Group, ABC (Disney–ABC Television Group), and Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner)
    Soon the FCC and the FTC will lose their ability to effectively regulate the industry. Comcast and ATT (my phone service provider and owner of DirecTV) really do struggle. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:45 AM