Pay TV Gets a Win as FCC Looks to Kill Sports Blackout Rule

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Athlon646464, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Pay TV Gets a Win as FCC Looks to Kill Sports Blackout Rule

(recode.net) - Sports fans may be rejoicing soon, as the federal government does away with a nearly-40-year-old rule designed to keep fans going to games instead of watching them on television.

Later this week, the Federal Communications Commission is expected to kill what’s known as the sports blackout rule — a restriction that prevents pay-TV providers such as cable and satellite from airing local games if the local stadiums don’t sell out seats....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I suppose the Raiders fans in my area will be happiest. BB Giants and FB Niners have sold out for years.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Remember ... there were TWO blackouts last year because of the FCC's blackout rule. The rest of the game blackouts would not and will not be affected by the removal of the blackout rule.

4. mocarob

mocarob Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    Will regional NFL highlight & talk show blackouts be affected?

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    What caused the other blackouts, and what would prevent them in the future?

6. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From the full article:

"While the end of the rule will allow the pay-TV companies to televise games that aren’t sold out, the local broadcast stations will still be barred."

The rule change only impacts folks who 'pay' for their TV sports content, cable & satellite subscribers for example. I think James Long was saying there were only two NFL games that were not sold out last year anyway.

The 'other' blackouts you are asking about may have nothing to do with this ruling, and have to do with sports packages such as Sunday Ticket. They have their own restrictions and would not be impacted by this.

7. desalvsj

desalvsj New Member

May 15, 2008
    So for example. My home NFL team doesn't sell out for a regular Sunday game , I still won't be able too see it on my local cbs or fox affiliate via OTA or cable or DTV, and if I had ST it also would still be blacked out?. But if its a national game it would be shown?

Steve

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So the judgment is out. Can anyone explain in layman’s terms what this all supposed to mean?

FCC unanimously rejects NFL's blackout rules

I never understood this back out rules and I never bother to since I don’t watch none of the “american” sports. But this has caught my attention..

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The only thing I think for sure that comes of this is that you won't be blacked out if the local game does not sell out. However, it would be nice if it meant no more blackouts on NFL Sunday Ticket. I have contact from the FCC I may reach out to, to see if I can get a better understanding of what the new ruling means.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The specific rule in play here was the one preventing airing of games that were not sold out. This ruling just means that will no longer be the reason for a blackout. It doesn't necessarily mean those games wouldn't be blacked out for another reason.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I reached out to my FCC contact and was told that this only changes things for games that are not sold out and if the NFL adds that to the contracts with the networks instead of it being covered by the FCC we will be right back in the same boat. Since these are rare these days, I am not sure it is a big deal for the NFL right now.

I did ask though as the article in my opinion is hinting at some other type of blackouts. I specifically asked if this would change anything for Sunday Ticket subs that have to watch local games on locals. She stated that this has no change on that. The rules on that come from the NFL and their agreement with DirecTV and is not enforced by the FCC.

12. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    Does this change anything with college sports blacked out on my sports pack channels in the 600's?

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    No.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    We will see very little change if anything based upon this FCC ruling. The TV contracts b/w the networks and the NFL still are binding.

15. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: Senators warn NFL about resisting blackout policy changes

(engadget.com) - Despite the FCC voting to repeal the NFL's decades-old blackout protection, the league still has the power to include sellout provisions in TV contracts. However, if it chooses to do so, a pair of US Senators warn that it could lose its antitrust exemption and tax benefits. In a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell yesterday, Senators John McCain and Richard Blumenthal urge the league to end the policy that's "no longer justified in today's environment" by nixing "rules that punish those same fans."...

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Yes, it only unlocks the outer door, and the NFL has to do the rest. The "hint" from McCain and Blumenthal may get some action. Economically, I'd guess that the overall revenues would slightly increase if blackouts ceased.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    [SIZE=10.5pt]Proving what it means to be "TAX EXCEMPT" is where the real money is [/SIZE]

19. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
  20. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    And public financed stadiums.