paying a month in advance and terminating service

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by WebTraveler, Mar 20, 2009.

1. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Dish charges you for the following month about 17 days in advance. When you terminate your service before that following month how long does it take for Dish to refund your money for the following month and the pro-rated portion of the month that you cancelled in?

For instance, I terminated but looking at my bills they have billed my credit card for next month already. Considering the pro-rate for the current month and this next month they owe me over $100.

How long does it take to get this money back?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    They don't refund, they give you a credit.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you canceled altogether and weren't subject to a commitment, I'd expect to have to wait a couple of months.

4. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    You actually have to call in for the refund.

5. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Even though I called in and cancelled? I have to call again for a refund???? Maybe I will just dispute the entire charge to my credit card all together. I think I have 60 days from the statement date to do a dispute.

6. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Have you ever done a dispute like that? The only thing the card company can do is call it fraud and issue you a new credit card number. They don't settle any disputes for you. It means you have to deal with moving all of your auto payments to the new card. It's a hassle!

You are better off dealing with Dish and getting them to fix it. I know that is not easy either! At least they are better than they were 10 years ago when they never gave refunds as another poster eluded to. They only gave credits for a service you had canceled! They got called to the mat on that one and finally changed their evil ways.

7. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    why? In my eyes you have 2 choices

1) spend 4 minutes on the phone with dish and they will cut you a check or issue a credit card refund
    OR
    2) spend 15 minutes on the phone with your bank and any follow up calls to dispute the charge AND spend 15 minutes on the phone with Dish for the remaining credit/charge on your account settled AFTER the CC chargeback has already gone through.

8. ka8zay

ka8zay AllStar

Feb 11, 2009
    Except for if you have been paying with this card for multiple months and this charge is not out of line with other charges made before from E your credit card company can not legally dispute it as you have built a billing relationship with E. To do so at this point would be credit card fraud. Not saying that your credit card company won't do it but it then would put you at a legal risk for dish to charge you a processing fee for the dispute as well as send you to a collection agency to recoup the loss. I have never read word for word E's billing policy but such terms may even be in the contract.

9. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Just call 72 hours after your cancellation date and request a refund. You'd get it back on your card in about a week.

10. haloguy628

haloguy628 Cool Member

Aug 5, 2007
    So if you cancel service and Dish already billed you for the next month you won't get refund unless you call Dish? Isn't that fraud?

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Not really, it takes overnight for those credits to post.

12. ardvarkus

ardvarkus New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Are you serious?

This is absolutely FALSE. As are other replies making up law on the "legality" of contesting charges on credit cards based on prior monthly bills or 'billing relationships'....

Your credit card company will take any complaint and process it- who says it must be fraud!??! Simply tell them what happened, say you are contesting X.XX dollars, provide a short letter outlining the issue. This is called a 'chargeback'.

It is the very best route when dealing with companies that like to screw with consumers- the credit card company holds up the payment, then the clock is ticking, if the company fails to research the issue and reply the chargeback is automatically upheld. Calling Malaysia (or whereever DN has their CS) will simply result in empty promises and you may loose your right with the credit card company to contest the charge.

I charge $15-20k or so to my amex a month, and I can tell you they are VERY attentive and responsive to dealing with merchants on my behalf. :) Fraud, item never sent, item returned, item damaged in transit, etc... many issues can be dealt with via credit card chargeback.

Perhaps credit cards companies treat some clients with low monthly volume or credit issues differently, but I have never had any card refuse to process any claim.

A

13. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Basically the unused credit stays on the account, and in the event that you reconnect would be there still. Once it has posted to the account, you can request a refund of the unused credit, which posts usually within 7-10 days to a CC. I don't remember how long if a check has to be mailed. I think some people are blowing it way out of proportion, just wait till the credit posts and then ask that it be refunded. Its not that hard.

14. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    It's called a chargeback. The instructions on how to get a chargeback are on the back of your credit card bill. The card ISN'T cancelled. The merchant contested has to prove to the credit card company that the charge was valid or you get a credit a few months later.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You are absolutely correct in your explanation of charge backs. I couldn't believe some of the bum dope being posted. :)

Tnx.

16. ch3

ch3 Mentor

Nov 30, 2004
    Agreed. If the charge is completely unknown to you (this has happen to me several times for very small amounts), you simply call the CC company and dispute the charge. However, you may decide to cancel the CC number and have them issue another number if you believe someone may have your number. What they have also told me is that sometimes they just 'hit' your number (happens when the company doesn't also ask for the 3-digit CCV number). Something that also happen to me recently for a larger amount (they called me shortly after the attempted charge) and they issued a new number.

But for a charge from a company that used the card for legitimately, I believe you are suppose to attempt to rectify it with the company first. When this has happen to me (e.g. not shipping something they were suppose to), I usually threaten to contact me CC company if they don't take care of the charge. This usually works because companies don't like chargebacks (because if they have too many, the CC company will charge them more for their service).

If the company is then not responsive, when you do dispute the charge, you simply tell the CC company that you 'tried' to get the company to take care of the problem. The CC companies aare very good at taking care of these problems.

17. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Whatever! That is what my CC company did to me a couple years ago.