1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PBS in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DrZ, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Is D* done with turning on local PBS channels in HD? It has been quite some time and I"m still waiting for PBS-HD in Boston?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No PBS in HD? I tho't Bahston was the high-tech Nirvana of the east coast. :rolleyes:

I've had local and national PBS in HD for several years.

But then, I only have Comcast cable. :shrug:

(Sorry)

3. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    I've been waiting also. So many shows I'd love to watch in HD. Boston-Manchester is the #6 DMA. How about a little respect here D*!

4. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Surprised WGBH/WGBX in Boston isn't HD on the bird like it is OTA and on comcast and cox. Down here in RI we get both RI PBS (WSBE) ch 36 and CPTV (WEDN) ch 53 in HD on D*. For awhile ch 36 was having trouble with the HD feed and I'd have to unhide SD locals to watch the SD feed. I actually watch CPTV ch 53 more so I don't even really know how much of RI PBS's programming is actually in HD considering most of their library was transferred off 3/4" Umatic tape to digital years ago.

5. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i have PBS in HD in Erie, Pa we need the CW in HD!

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    WUNC (Chapel Hill - #25 DMA) has been HD for as long as we have had any locals in HD.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Interestingly enough, even here in the big L.A. market we could have easily lost PBS in HD had DIRECTV not by chance added PBS station KOCE-DT 50 several years back, since the former PBS flagship station here, KCET-DT 28, left the PBS fold and went independent over a year or so ago.

The other two PBS stations in this market carried by DIRECTV, KVCR-DT 24 and KLCS-DT 58 (owned by LAUSD), are only in SD.

8. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Sounds like nobody can explain this glaring omission! I may have to contact DirecTV directly!

9. spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    In the Phila. market we have had ch12 WHYY in HD for better then 2 yrs and recently noticed ch39 from Lehigh Valley area in HD too.

10. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    who provided PBS in your area? maybe its a money thing

11. kenmoo

kenmoo Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    It is pretty strange. You would think PBS would want the largest local audience for their wonderful programing and would almost give away the HD signal anywhere they could to solicit pledges. The Sacramento DMA HD signal was turned on a few years back and not only do we watch a lot of the excellent HD programing but we even started sending them money based on a pledge drive we saw in HD on DirecTV. I called the PBS station and DirecTV many times to try and push the process. Even wrote the National PBS Office.

I have a good friend that is in the Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo DMA. Some pretty wealthy sattelite subs and PBS donaters in that area. I think his PBS feed is in SD from Bakersfield because that PBS station is too small to broadcast in HD. No one at DirecTV will listen to him.

12. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    You think they spun a roulette wheel that came up "50," or was it more along the lines of a dice game?

KLCS opted to have one of their subchannels carried, rather than appearing in HD -- as I understand it, as a result of DirecTV's agreement with national PBS, local PBS stations have that as an either/or choice when they negotiate with DirecTV.

13. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    In the Raleigh-Durham market, DirecTV has WUNC (4.1) in HD and UNC Explorer (4.3 - although DirecTV callis it 4.2) in SD. Unfortunately for us, my grandkids prefer the OTA 4.2 (UNC Kids), which is not on DirecTV.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

KLCS is an SD only station with four OTA sub-channels. The main sub-channel 58-1 is carried by DIRECTV as an SD local on 101W. And one of their secondary sub-channels, 58-2, is carried as an MPEG-4 SD local on 103W.

15. bww

bww Legend

Feb 15, 2006
    Why does 58-1 OT in the directv guide get listed as HD for many of their programs? They are not in HD because I have recorded them and they are SD.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The "HD" program labeling used by DIRECTV in their guide is not always accurate.

Huh ... :confused: OTA 58-1 is showing as SD here as well.

AM21 connected to a HR22-100, and Hi-gain directional antenna aimed squarely at Mt. Wilson.

17. LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz AllStar

Dec 31, 2008
    When looking at a list of the 40 biggest local markets in the country, DTV has HD feeds of all 4 networks and PBS in all of them with the exception of one single holdout - PBS in the Boston market. There's definitely something uniquely weird going on with that station.

18. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    The SD versions of PBS are a waste of time, on Directv. Our small market PBS station, in Watertown, NY, has a great HD signal, over the air and two subchannels. So what do we get on Directv? The two subchannels. Sure, probably conserving bandwidth, but being on Spotbeams, that shouldn't be an issue. Our locals only have a few channels, unlike the larger markets, so they could at least give us a PBS HD channel.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tell me about it. No HD LILs at all here in the Monterey-Salinas market so why doesn't PBS just provide a national HD DNS feed and be done with it? I've heard answers to that over the years and they just sound crazier and crazier as time goes on.

20. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    What ever happened to PBS HD VOD?