PBS

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by rdr, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdr

rdr Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    I'm in Pittsburgh. We have local HD. Our PBS station is not HD and I wonder why. Do other locations have the same problem?

2. jscudder

jscudder Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    In my market there is a separate subchannel called PBS-HD that I can receive OTA (sometimes). This is a national PBS network channel with all HD content. It doesn't have the same programming as a regular PBS channel.
    I receive 3 separate stations with regular PBS programming and AFAIK none of them broadcast HD programming.

John

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Are you asking about Dish supplied HD or OTA?

4. rdr

rdr Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Dish suppled HD.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish is only supplying the big four networks in HD at this time. No one is getting the PBS HD via Dish.

6. rdr

rdr Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks. Just wondering who's fault that is. PBS or Dish. I'll never give another donation if it's PBS.

Is there anyone we can contact regarding this. Perhaps dish has it scheduled. Just dreaming!

7. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Irrelevant to your locale, but FYI anyway, I receive PBS in HD (WJCT) out of
    Jacksonville, Florida along with the five major networks in HD, via Comcast
    (formerly Adelphia) cable in Brunswick, Georgia -- WJCT-HD b/c an upscale
    programming schedule, IMO.

8. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    You can't get the HD national feed from dish for the same reason you can't get the SD national feed from dish.

9. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    And what is that reason?

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish, by injunction cannot provide ANY long distance networks. And PBS will not allow the national feed to areas that have local service OTA.

11. Yes616

Yes616 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    This all seems crazy to me. We do in fact get some out of market networks even where locals are available.

To me, MyTV and CW seem like networks. Many of us get these networks on a local channel plus we can get them in the superstation package.

PBS in HD also broadcasts a few sub-channels don't they? PBS Kids and a couple more.

In my local DMA (NYC), we also get 4 PBS channels (WNET, WLIW, WNYE and WNJB) but nowhere can I get the digital PBS sub-channels as I am too far from any of these transmitters to get digital OTA which would be the only other way.

For reasons like this, national PBS-HD with sub-channels should also be available on satellite. It's too bad that all I am saying here just makes sense as some of the satellite rules and regulations in place just make no sense at all.

Just my opinion.

12. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    I thought the injunction only covered the 4 major networks.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It does. Not having PBS's national feed as a distant isn't part of the injunction.

14. rdr

rdr Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    No more donations from me. It now appears to me that PBS has something to do with me not getting their HD signal. Thanks for all the replies.

15. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    Have you tried an antenna to see if you can get it that way? You can probably get PBS HD from OTA and cable, dish chose not to offer local HD past the top 4 networks.

If your local station is not passing HD then you should contact them and let them know why you will not donate further.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I get two PBS HD stations from cable. Legally from cable I’m only allowed to receive WNED HD from here in Buffalo. I get that from my cable box, and WXXI HD from Rochester via unencrypted QAM. I bet I can also get WCNY HD, the PBS affiliate from Syracuse unencrypted if I tried hard enough. It’s nice having a cable system that has presence in three DMAs :)

17. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    Why even have a national feed if you're not letting it be transmitted nationally? Who is getting that feed?

18. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Local PBS stations, from whence my local cableco picks up the PBS HD feed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.