1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Black Screen

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dmspen, Jul 8, 2012.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My Dell XPS 9000 went out the other day. While switching users the screen went black. Nothing seems to bring it back. When booting there is no indication (video) on the screen of POST activitiy. Eventually there is a black color shift on the screen and the mouse cursor appears.

I can access my hard drive through another networked PC so the drive seems to be OK.

Once on boot I got a 5 tones, up and down in pitch, followed by 3 sets of 2 beeps. Can't find that response anywhere.

I reseated everything inside the PC but didn't help.

I tried to boot up in Safe Mode but haven't been able to do that yet. When powering up, there seems to be a lot of hard drive activity before it settles down- seems to be about 3 or 4 minutes.

It's a Dell XPS 9100, Win 7, NVidia GT 220 video card. I've thought about removing the video card and booting, but don't know if the PC will default to the onboard graphics.

Any thoughts?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Remove the video card and reboot, it should default to onboard.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. First trouble-shooting step...

- Merg

4. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We went on a weeks vacation. I turned on the PC when we got home. As usual, there's no video of any type and then BOOM, the logon screen is there.

I'm leaving it on forever. Or at least until the next time it goes...

I'll try the video card removal next black screen.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Sounds like just a removal / reinsertion may help clean the contacts.

6. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I did open the case and make sure all cards and connectors were seated OK. Maybe a complete removal and install would help.

7. Well i was stuck up wit the same problem no solution helped out. Then i uninstalled all the softwares and the set up and then installed it again. And thus it worked well, was unable to sort out the trouble and do not know why it happens.

8. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Video problems are the worst because you can't see what to troubleshoot!