PC DBS Tuners Compatible with SMWLine (SWM in General)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by smiddy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I was reading the threads on the meters with the SWM line and I think based on being on the none powered side of the Power Inserter you can use one that isn't entirely compatible with SWM. However, that got me to thinking, couldn't you use a PCI Card DBS Tuner in a PC to do something similar (or in a PCMCIA Card for Laptop) and view the signal strengths and then adjust. I have my Slingbox, which works great on my laptop, so all I need to do is turn it on while I'm at the dish a voila, I have an instant signal meter, not the professional installer meter, but still, a pretty fancy meter none the less. Ok, back to the question at hand. Are there any PC cards out there for DBS that are compatible with the SWM? I know there are ones compatible with the original LNB switching, but the SWM is different. Does anyone know? I may have to research this...

Part of the reason I ask is I want to start helping Doug Brott out in retrieving stream data associated with new firmware/software versions and I would think that now my setup is not compatible with that since the tuner of choice used the legacy setup I would need a new tuner with the ability to get satellite 101 and look at data streams.

Thoughts?