1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC TV turner card for dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tlowecats, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlowecats

tlowecats Cool Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I have a media center computer without a tuner card. Is there a suggested card to use with dish? I had a previous computer that worked great with cable, but was not that great with dish. I had to leave it on channel 3 and change the channels with the dish remote. This also made the pvr functions useless unless I was there to change the channel. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unfortunately there is not a tuner card that can legally tune and descramble DISH's subscription services. A separate receiver tuned via remote control is the only way.

You may want to use the component or HDMI connections between the PC and the receiver for better picture quality.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    What you need is an IR blaster on your media center PC that can change the channels on the DIsh receiver. Or also use the timers on the Dish receiver as well.

Yes - I do this also....

4. tlowecats

tlowecats Cool Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I have a legal sub from DN not looking to get around that. What I want to do is use a TV that is infrequently used to split and run to my computer and use the media center to watch programs. This way I can watch one football game on CBS via computer and one football game FOX on my TV.

Hey Scooper, what type of card do you have? The DVR functions would be nice, but not essential on the computer.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Nice idea, but Dish wouldn't want to give up the DVR fees.

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    James,

Will HDCP allow use of the HDMI cables from the receiver to the PC? :confused:

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'm using a Hauppage WinHVR1600. The only "problem" with this is that you cn get sat input only in SD - either via RF or composite/S-video. The digital tuner part of it can do ATSC (OTA) and Clear QAM (cable - unencrypted). It does have an IR blaster as well, which I use to control a CECB on composite input.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm not aware of any tuner/capture card that will capture from (or even offers) an HDMI input. The whole point of HDCP is to prevent exactly this from happening.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR will capture in HD via the component cables, and is the only device that I know of that will capture in HD. The problem is that it isn't a natively supported device in Windows Media Center. There are some hacks to make it work, but you need to know what you are doing and not expect perfect performance.

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    What about a Slingbox? I know they are intended to watch programming off your DVR or sat box remotely, but AFAIK, there is no formal definition of how far away "remote" is. Assuming your computer is networked.

10. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    EDT: wups

11. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Does anyone know what the regulations are here? With Cable TV the carriers are required to support this stuff. There are cards in the works that will be out next year that have 4 tuners in them, and can do TWO WAY communication. meaning all the PPV, VOD etc is available. but it's only on cable cards.

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/09/10/hands-on-with-the-ceton-cablecard-tuner/

does anyone know if this is coming to sat? I mean clearly dish and D* would want nothing to do with it, but if the regulations are the same, they'd have to.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Blackmagic Intensity
    [​IMG]

14. dj_osbo

dj_osbo New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    My understanding is that the BlackMagic Intemsity card doesn't support HDCP--significantly limiting its usefulness.

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    From the site:

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Correct.

Hope someone will add HDCP support to it. Or you could add HDMI switch with HDCP support.

17. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I'm not clear on exactly whether the OP actually needs video capture. From post #4:

Sounds like he just wants to use his computer as a poor man's version of P-in-P. I think we need some clarification here. Is it a TV that is infrequently used, or a receiver? What model of receiver? What other models do you have? Is the computer in the same room with one of them? Do you need or want HD on the computer?

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Doing so would be a violation of federal law (specifically, the DMCA), since the whole point of HDCP is to prevent such copying. Otherwise, it would have some with HDCP support in the first place.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Indirectly, it has HDCP support. When a decoder asks for the level of HDCP support, the card doesn't respond (or responds as recording equipment) and the decoder assumes (knows) that it isn't a display only device. Either way the decoder doesn't send protected content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.