1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI satellite discussion allowed?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jammasterd, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jammasterd

Jammasterd AllStar

Jul 6, 2006
    Now that I've signed up for Dish Network (installation July14th), I am interested in a PCI satellite tuner card for my computer: this was impossible with Directv.
    Is this type of discussion allowed on DSBTalk.com?
    Can't wait for my DVR-625!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    At FTA forum

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep. All "free to air" discussion such as what channels your PC card could receive should happen in the FTA Forum. Discussion of how to descramble channels is not permitted in any forum.

We do allow discussion of what channels are available to regular subscribed receivers and the hints of what is coming and changing on the satellite line up in this forum. Those hints and reports come from people using PC cards and other units but are not really FTA discussion.

4. Jammasterd

Jammasterd AllStar

Jul 6, 2006
    I didn't mean to stir things up about FTA.
    I was thinking of connecting the 625 to my Sony tv and my computer.
    (I believe that the 625 can connect to 2 tv's, is that correct?)
    I have an ATI All In Wonder 9000 video card that I had connected to Comcast Cable and could watch tv.(coax cable connection)
    Directv would not work in this fashion.
    Would the ATI AIW 9000 tv tuner work with DVR-625 connected ? If so, I would not need a PCI satelite tuner card.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 625 will drive the computer either through an RF connection, the S-VHS connection or the composite video connection. The All In Wonder turns the computer into a fully capable SD television.

6. Jammasterd

Jammasterd AllStar

Jul 6, 2006
    Great news !

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You should be able to connect any good input PC card to the outputs of your E* reciever to capture what it is playing, just as if you connected a VCR or DVD recorder.

A satellite card (DVB) would do you little good as the only channels you could tune legally are a few 'free' channels - probably not the ones you are interested in capturing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.