1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDF dissecting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Oct 8, 2018 #1 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd like to be able to "cut" a photo out of a PDF file of a magazine article containing that picture, to retransmit it. I'm sure Adobe has something fairly cheap to do that, like their PDF-to-text converter that I have been paying $2 a month for, for the last three years, because I never decline the renewal. What is the cheapest way to do that?

2. Oct 8, 2018 #2 of 17
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Can you copy/paste a PDF pic? Seems like I did that once like forever ago.

3. Oct 8, 2018 #3 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Copy paste works for most PDFs I have taken images from (for personal use). Perhaps the magazine has copy protection?

4. Oct 8, 2018 #4 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Windows has a Snipping tool that allows you to capture any image (or text). Enlarge the PDF photo to the largest you can without pixelating before you 'snip'

5. Oct 8, 2018 #5 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I described it as a magazine, but it is actually the scan of a 1948 Annual City Report that was done by a state university, so it is unlikely that they deliberately incorporated any copy protection.

Over the years, I have had mixed results at simply pasting other "copyable" pictures into e-mail Compose blanks. There was a time when I could past a copied web page picture into an AOL Compose template using the AOL Desktop, but not using the on-line AOL Compose, and now there is an "Insert image" function that I have not experimented with. I have noticed that I have encountered some images can be highlighted and copied while other times I could not, but did not record my experiences, successful and unsuccessful, for analysis.

6. Oct 9, 2018 #6 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
  7. Oct 9, 2018 #7 of 17
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Interesting ... my copy/paste generates a negative plate image. Zooming to 200% creates a bad image as well. Here is the best I could do.
    Dover1.jpg Dover2.jpg

8. Oct 9, 2018 #8 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    In the bottom left corner of your computer (task bar), there is a search block. Type in SNIPPING TOOL. It will bring up a MS app that allows you to copy (and annotate if desired) snippets from your screen.

James probably has the best results you're going to get. I have a PDF editing program. When I tried to grab those pictures, it didn't turn out well.

Depending on how the PDF file was created will determine what you can do with the file, data, pictures, etc.

Your document appears to have just been scanned into PDF. You can't do much with those.

Now if the file had been created in Word or Excel or PowerPoint and then Saved As PDF, you can usually right-click on any part of the document you want to copy/save those images.

9. Oct 9, 2018 #9 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I was able to copy those two pictures out of your post by highlighting them and then ctrl and C, and I pasted them into an e-mail and sent it (and was planning on telling the guy to give you a photo edit credit in the big newspaper they are intended to run in) but when I just went to the "Saved Mail" copy of what I sent him, where the pictures had been, it now just says Dover1.jpg and Dover2.jpg.

I just e-mailed the recipient to find out if they remained visible in his copy. If not, or even if so, I'll try the Windows SNIPPING TOOL, which I just accessed, but I don't have time to experiment with it right now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Spooky. The same stored e-mail into which I had pasted those pictures that first displayed them, but then on re-viewing said Dover 1(and 2).jpg, now displays them properly again. Go figure.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As we in IT say ... That sounds like a personal problem.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I often use the snipping tool to grab images from the web. I save the image and open it in IrfanView where I can resize it, crop it, adjust the colors, and add arrows or text to it. IrfanView is a free graphic editing program for Windows.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I once sent in a photo to a funeral parlor which they include in their in-house Obituary hosting service for no extra charge, but which they have to pay the local daily newspaper another $45 to include in their mirrored hosting of it, and when I saw the submitted picture in their private hosting but not in the daily newspaper, I called it to the funeral parlor's attention and mentioned that I did see a faint squiggle where the image should be and they said they cannot be responsible for my browser problems (Firefox). I then contacted Legacy, which hosts for the newspaper, and they said they had not received a picture and to contact the newspaper, but the newspaper (same one that is going to make you famous) is now owned by a company that is owned by a company that is owned by a company in London, England, and they don't answer to nobody. I think the funeral parlor pocketed my $45, but I didn't have the wherewithal to pursue it further.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I was referring to the "now you see it/now you don't" viewing images in your email program ... nothing deeper.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Poor quality scans. This is the clearest I saw.

Actually, surprised the text could be copied as well as it was. (See below image).

Public Works 'Dozer.jpg

"Bridges

The Whittier Falls bridge had four bays replanked, timber replaced where necessary and new guard rails and the super structure painted.The lower Washington Street bridge was about three-fourths painted before cold weather. The guard rails on upper Washington bridge were painted and several planks on the County Farm bridge were replaced."

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some of the scan to PDF programs do a better job of OCR than others. Occasionally I will find a scan where the text is off by a line from where the printed text appears in the document (especially on large documents). On older or low contrast pages OCR does not perform as well. Decent contrast, decent scan rate (pixel per inch) and clearly printed text usually scans fairly well. (OCR = Optical Character Recognition)

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would recommend other way: do highlight picture or make right mouse click on it and SaveAs to your computer drive, then attach the saved picture to your email; you will have opportunity to make changes to it - adjust brightness/contrast, resize, add your notes,etc
    and resend it if you need to