Peacock - NBCU's streaming service outlined

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sep 17, 2019 #1 of 163
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For whatever reason, NBCU announced that it's streaming service will be named "Peacock." Ignoring all the obvious jokes one can make about the name, it looks like it will be loaded with content, will be rolled out to take advantage of the 2020 Summer Olympics.

What I find disturbing is the first words in the description by The Hollywood Reporter:

The ad-supported, direct-to-consumer platform will be called Peacock and launch in April 2020 with a lineup of more than 15,000 hours of content, including exclusive library titles like Parks and Recreation and originals including reboots of Battlestar Galactica, Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster. Peacock will take center stage during NBC's coverage of the Summer Olympics in 2020 when the entire NBCUniversal fold will get behind the platform with a massive marketing push promoting the service, with originals set to launch after the Games.​

"Ad-supported"???? In the interview in the article, further down we have this exchange:

What's the pricing strategy? It's free to Comcast subscribers, with one price point for ad-free and another for non-Comcast subscribers. Is that still the case?

There will be conversations about pricing down the road. But the strategy is still the same.​

Well, that's some hope for a no-ads version.

2. Sep 17, 2019 #2 of 163
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ad-supported means commercials you can't skip thru. Let's hope they have the good sense to have that no ads version.

Rich

3. Sep 17, 2019 #3 of 163
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    An article I read somewhere today said both an ad supported and no ad version would be available at different price points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich likes this.
  4. Sep 17, 2019 #4 of 163
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My concern is the potential cost to streamers over the long term. Peacock has invested heavily in buying rights to old content.

I guess I'm getting a gnawing feeling in my gut since the LA Times article appeared last week The end of the backend? Disney wants to limit profit participation on its new TV shows. That article tell us:

As of this summer, Disney is pressing TV producers and other profit participants in its shows to accept a new formula offering profits sooner in exchange for complete control of any future licensing revenue, the Los Angeles Times has learned from conversations with Hollywood agents, attorneys and union representatives. ...Disney wants its payment system in place as it approaches the launch of its streaming service Disney +, scheduled for November.

It’s a way to bypass the situation NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia recently faced when they had to outbid Netflix to get the rights for their properties — classic TV hits like “The Office” and “Friends” — to run on their own upcoming direct-to-consumer video services.​

Disney, of course, is made a huge profits increase last year. NBCU is doing well, although its parent company Comcast not as much overall. While streaming is still competitive, overall the number of serious players is shrinking.

5. Sep 17, 2019 #5 of 163
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I'll be interested to see if they to make any of the Olympics coverage Peacock-exclusive. Throw any of the swimming, gymnastics, basketball, or track & field events in there, and people will make some choices pretty quick.

6. Sep 17, 2019 #6 of 163
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yeah, unskippable commercials would be a nonstarter for me.

7. Jan 16, 2020 #7 of 163
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

OK, so now we have information. Here's links to articles at Deadline Hollywood:
    1. Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
    2. ‘Two And A Half Men’: NBCU’s Peacock Acquires SVOD Rights To Chuck Lorre Sitcom & ‘George Lopez’
    3. NBCU's Peacock Lands Dick Wolf Library Of 'Law & Order' And 'Chicago' Franchises In Non-Exclusive Deal
    4. NBC’s ‘Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’ & ‘Late Night With Seth Meyers’ Get Early Streamings On Peacock Premium
    5. Peacock Reveals Launch Date, Pricing And Exclusive Olympic Programming
    The first four articles, along with a 15,000-pound shrubbery and lights tower bird, make it clear the huge investment in content that is being made by NBCU, The fifth article outlines the service and pricing strategy which includes three tiers that will be made available:
    • Peacock Free (with commercials)
    • Peacock Premium (with commercials)
    • Peacock Premium Commercial-Free
    Peacock Free will be free to everyone. It will offer 7,500± hours of programming with commercials, including a selection of classic TV series and movies, next-day streaming of some broadcast shows, Spanish-language content and a curated collection of news and sports programming.

Peacock Premium will be free to Comcast and Cox cable TV subscribers and $5/mo for everyone else. It will offer 15,000± hours of programming with commercials and early access to late night talk shows.

Peacock Premium Commercial-Free will cost $5/mo for Comcast and Cox cable TV subscribers and $10/mo for everyone else. Content will be the same 15,000± hours of programming and early access to late night talk shows, but all without commercials.

Regarding the rollout associated with the Olympics, the fifth article says:

"Peacock will offer extensive coverage of the Tokyo Olympics, some of it exclusive. Peacock will feature live coverage of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies before they air on NBC in primetime. It will also stream three daily Olympic shows. That lineup includes Tokyo Live, with live coverage of one particularly compelling event from the day; Tokyo Daily Digest, with midday highlights; and Tokyo Tonight, a complement to the primetime show that is designed to help audiences catch up on the day’s events."​

This Comcast-owned NBCU creature can't be ignored and should not be taken lightly. Scroll carefully through the lists in the first article linked above. Not only will they have all the old “Law and Order” shows and the Paramount Network hit “Yellowstone,” they will be offering new versions of “Saved by the Bell” and “Battlestar Galactica,” the true crime “Dr. Death,” featuring the actors Jamie Dornan and Alec Baldwin, and an adaptation of “Brave New World” with Demi Moore.

How this mixes in over the next decade with Netflix, Amazon Prime,Disney+, Apple+, HBO Max, Acorn TV, CW Seed, YouTube TV and the gazillion other streaming services out there is going to be interesting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  8. Jan 16, 2020 #8 of 163
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This is an improvement over CBS's streaming. With All Access you have to pay to watch anything, ad or not. I refuse to subscribe.

I think Comcast is doing the right thing.

Cable subs get preference vs non customers.
    AT&T does the same thing with Directv and wireless.

9. Jan 16, 2020 #9 of 163
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't consider that "Commercial-Free" with "15,000± hours of programming with commercials" and the only commercial-free content is "early access to late night talk shows, but without commercials".

Edit: Original quoted post corrected that it is all ad free.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. Jan 16, 2020 #10 of 163
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Right now that is true for the Peacock Free offering. But for the Premium, to get it free you have to be among the 21.4 million Xfinity or 2.9 million Cox cable TV subscribers. That leaves about 115 million TV households not eligible for the Premium content for free.

The thing about CBS All Access is that you get your local CBS station streaming live so you don't have to pay for either cable or satellite TV.

The question for me is that I'd really like to do without a cable or satellite subscription. I'm comfortable with Hulu and All Access giving me most of the prime time programming for CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC. With Peacock coming I expect to lose NBC shows soon.

11. Jan 16, 2020 #11 of 163
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Oops. My error. It's all without commercials. I've corrected that. Cutting and pasting requires more diligence on my part.

12. Jan 16, 2020 #12 of 163
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    OK thanks for clarifying that as it didn't sound right.

13. Jan 16, 2020 #13 of 163
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    We're gonna need a veen diagram soon to figure out who gets which streaming service for free with which company. o_O

Interesting for non-Comcast/Cox customers they are launching a completely Free AVOD service even if it has half the content as the Premium AVOD/SVOD services. :) I will have to wait and see what's on the Free AVOD service but sounds like something I would defiantly pick up.

Shocked that WB's Two and a Half Men is headed to Peacock (along with George Lopez b/c it is also owned by WB). It looks like AT&T's Warner Bros. isn't opposed to sharing but it seems to be keeping the better rated series for themselves (The Big Bang Theory, Friends).

This caught my eye from this article:
    Will be interesting to see who Comcast brings on board. We know AT&T is also working on distribution deals for HBO Max outside of its various services.

I hope the "Live coverage of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies before they air on NBC in primetime" is unedited with nothing missing please Comcast don't screw this up!

14. Jan 17, 2020 #14 of 163
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Deadline Hollywood offered one last summary article Peacock Investors Day Review: A Lot Of ‘SNL’ Alums, Dick Wolf, & Lessons Learned From Apple, Disney & HBO Max which offers some good observations including these:

The name may suck, but NBCU’s entry into the streaming wars really took flight in a solid show & tell today. The surprising result, in the increasingly crowded digital environment, was a near Gold medal exertion for the Comcast-owned entity that’s set to launch nationally on July 15 – nine days before the behemoth of the Olympics open in Japan.

Clearly having learned a lesson or two from the past and sometimes problematic presentations by AppleTV+, Disney+ and the sprawling HBO Max affair the past few months, the Matt Strauss run streamer brought in some real producers to make sure it all hung together, front loaded this afternoon with lots of details and math, Olympic promises and a plethora of talent where its competitors unfortunately went for executive overload.

It can’t be stated enough that Peacock has a terrible and deserving of censorship name. Yet, unlike some of the other plus-ing or max-ing newbies to the revolutionary world Netflix built, the service appears to have a realpolitik strategy for revenue growth based more on real numbers than hopes, brand desires and a fear of missing the streaming boat.​

Senior Writer Dominic Patten realizes that Comcast/NBCU is in this for the money and has the depth to make it work. It's not that Netflix, All Access, AppleTV+, Disney+, and HBO Max won't survive the next decade. But the advertising center of Peacock beginning with the Olympics will keep the service up in far more households when times get tough.

Not surprisingly, IMHO it's all beginnng to look a lot like TV, just with more options and flexibility.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  15. Jan 17, 2020 #15 of 163
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The early streams of Fallon and Meyers will tighten the production schedule. Fallon is usually taped at 5pm, Meyers at 6:30pm. Fallon will stream at 8pm and Meyers at 9pm. Fortunately both shows have been in production long enough that the producers can handle the schedule.

As for the "Peacock" name ... I like it. It is colloquial.

I appreciate the next day free view of current programs. From time to time I have problems with a recording (usually extreme weather) and want to watch a missed show online. I don't want to pay a subscription for a missed delivery. I note above that the premium level is included for Comcast TV subscribers - I subscribe Comcast internet only so I assume I'm not included. The price of Xfinity TV is high enough it should include Peacock on demand.

It should be a decent service.

16. Jan 17, 2020 #16 of 163
    evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I haven't read any of the articles and really just skimmed through this thread, but hoping someone has an answer...

What is the difference between Peacock Free and Peacock Premium?

Will the Olympic exclusive content be on Peacock Free or will you have to buy Peacock Premium? (Probably a stupid question... "of course you have to buy something!")

I'm assuming the exclusive shows like Battlestar Galactica will only be on Peacock Premium?

Will the Peacock Free just have old content?

17. Jan 17, 2020 #17 of 163
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Old content seems like the theme here. Saw what of all this I wanted to when it was on originally, or on the many dozens of reruns on regular linear channels.

Olympics is 2 weeks every 4 years and is about as interesting as watching paint dry, IMHO.

Pass.

18. Jan 17, 2020 #18 of 163
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Peacock Free includes next-day access to current seasons of freshman broadcast series, a range of film and TV titles but only select episodes of marquee Peacock originals and tentpole series. It will also feature curated Peacock streaming genre channels like “SNL Vault,” “Family Movie Night” and “Olympic Profiles.”

Peacock Premium, meanwhile, adds full-season Peacock originals and tentpole series and next-day access to current seasons of returning broadcast shows. It also throws in early access to late night titles like the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and sports attractions like exclusive Premier League soccer matches, Olympic programming.​

Free will probably work for most people. Those that want "everything" in the library could go to premium. The downside of "free" is curated choices. If the content is what the viewer wants then there is no issue. But if you're looking for every episode offered (all content available) the $5 isn't too bad.

After launch we will see how bad the commercials are. Hopefully less than the standard broadcast commercial breaks. People won't watch (and won't see the ads) if there are too many commercials.

19. Jan 17, 2020 #19 of 163
    B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    As a regular in-depth viewer of the Olympics, I'm intrigued to see how which events are "Peacock exclusive", as basically everything is streamed live, for free, on NBCOlympics.com. I really enjoy the Olympic basketball tournament, and I'll watch a lot of the signature events.

In terms of the initial content list made available, it's nothing enticing enough for me to pay for premium services. I know others are hardcore fans of the Chicago series of shows, Law & Order franchise, etc., so there's definitely an audience for this. But I like how there's a free version to at least dip your toes in the water with.

20. Jan 18, 2020 #20 of 163
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't see anything that interested me but I'm sure the app will improve. Gotta give these things time to get their stuff together.

Rich