Peacock Will Stream On Roku

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by glrush, Sep 18, 2020.

1. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, everything is sweetness and light between NBCU and Roku per this and other breaking stories. That still leaves Peacock off of Amazon and HBO Max off of both Roku and Amazon.

3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Maybe AT&T needs to threaten they will pull Crunchyroll, Bleacher Report, Boomerang (standalone streaming service), Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, CNN, TBS, TCM, TNT & VRV apps from Roku if a deal is not reached for HBO Max? That strategy seems to work out well for NBCU & Peacock.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Today I was able to add Peacock to my Roku streaming channels on my TCL HD set. I'd say that's pretty fast work.

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Heh, yeah maybe. Actually, I'll bet we see a deal for HBO Max to come to Roku before long. The head of Warner Media, Jason Kilar, talked like they weren't too far off in landing a deal with one of the two missing platforms and, based on everything I've read -- plus the fact that Peacock is now on Roku but not yet Fire TV -- it seems likely that Roku is the one he's talking about. (I think the standoff with Amazon goes deeper and it wouldn't surprise me if it lasts until well into next year.)

The fact that Google is set to announce a new 4K streamer next week, rumored to cost $50-60, will only put additional pressure on Roku (and Amazon, for that matter). Kilar himself noted that HBO Max is available on Apple and Google devices and the holiday season is coming up when a lot of streaming devices are purchased. He knows that gives his side some leverage if his app remains absent from Roku and Fire TV.