1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pegasus is definitely finished now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jun 10, 2004 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- A federal judge in the U.S. bankruptcy court in Portland, Maine today entered an order denying Pegasus' request to prevent DIRECTV from providing DIRECTV(R) service directly to consumers in areas served by Pegasus Satellite Television, Inc. The court's ruling today allows DIRECTV to market its service and acquire new customers in Pegasus territories.

"We are pleased with today's ruling, which allows us to market our service to millions of consumers in rural America seeking an alternative to cable," said Steve Cox, executive vice president, Sales, Distribution and Business Development, DIRECTV, Inc.

More

2. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I wonder if Pegasus will quickly drop their surcharge to try to compete with DIRECTV... If not they will lose customers faster than they can get through bankruptcy...

3. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Mike, I believe the ability to be a non-exclusive provider of DirecTV doesn't apply to Pegasus. Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last! (okay, it's not a civil rights issue, but it is great for us rural area residents)

4. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Yep. The wife and I were looking to build in a couple of years, but we would have ended up in Pegasus area. We would have probably gone with SBC/Dish before going to Pegasus (and I'd hate to give up my DirecTiVo...)

5. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Ah, the smell of fresh blood!!!

I went to check and see if my brother's zip code in Pegasus territory would show the list of locals on directv's locals page instead of rerouting to Pegasus. It DID!!! He most certainly can order DirecTV now. If DirecTV would offer him WB and UPN, everything would be perfect. :grin:

I did read somewhere where Pegasus says that the decision invites further litigation. You would think after all the setbacks that they would throw up their hands and say "I give. You win." :D

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    They are fighting back however. They have manged to deprive DirecTV of the sub lists etc. That will slow them down at least. But Pegasus is in trouble.

7. IWantHDTivo

IWantHDTivo Guest

I currently am subscribed to tivo with my father's address (I live in Pegasux territory). This morning, I called directv to see if I could "move" home. The told me that I would have to switch to Pegasus then switch back in a couple months. I told them "no thanks."

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Pegasus still has exclusive rights until Sept 1st. At that point they lose all rights and then subs can go with DirecTV. Pending any further litigation of course.

9. pstineme

pstineme Cool Member

May 14, 2004
    I checked Directv.com and I am eligible for their service now. I have had to use Pegasus. I have the paperwork to transfer but I'm on direct pay and shred my paperwork after I get it each month. So I can't send in my form until my next payment is due and I get my receipt. I thought I would call Directv and ask if I can cancel with Pegasus and subscribe to Directv. They told me I can't. I'm not sure why the guy next to me can call and get it as a new subscriber and I can't. If I legally disconnect if Pegasus, I don't see what the problem is.

10. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Cancel the service and have your wife sign up and see if that works. If not, you can try going the P.O. Box route.

11. SatelliteMike

SatelliteMike New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    I personally would wait 30 days before doing anything. If you switch, P* could charge you, according to the customer agreement. In 30 days, the picture of the future should be a little more clear.. The fact is, D*, WILL eventually have the area.. As a consumer, they, BOTH, could care less about you or I, its about the benjamins$$!! Switching could hurt your pocket book.. The the rich people fight and when the fight is over, we will all have smaller bills or more programming or bla bla bla...

12. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    If you look at the form DirecTV has you fill out they tell you they will reimburse you for any charge Pegasus makes related to disconnecting service.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    That WON'T cover any fees for terminating your contract early. Best advice is to STAY PUT until the gorillas are finished wrestling.

14. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    Has DirecTV explicitly clarified that for you?

The form says:

Are there even any fees for disconnecting service with Pegasus beyond fees associated with not meeting a term commitment?

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Dude - can't you READ your own quote ? What part of " You will be responsible for paying any past due programming fees/balances due to Pegasus on your Final Bill from Pegasus. " isn't clear ? Terminating a contract early (from you, voluntarily) would certainly fall under this category. If, however you WAIT until P* is required to transfer your account, then you shouldn't have to pay any such fee.

But it's up to you - if you want away from Pegasus THAT badly - be my guest. I'm just echoing Dan Collins from dbsforums.com on this - I'd save your money until your contract is fulfilled.

However, if you are already past any programming commitments with P*, then go right ahead.

16. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    No, actually I don't think that's clear. It's clear that if you had "past due programming fees" that you're liable for them, as in unpaid billings for previously charged programming; and if you had "balances due" you're liable for them since those would be some other non-programming charges previously due that were unpaid.

Programming commitments with DirecTV don't entail charges for the remainder of your term for that programming, they entail an "early termination fee." That is, with DirecTV if you've just committed to 1 year of Total Choice, you can turn right around and cancel your account and you're liable then for a $150 "early termination fee" not for payment equaivalent to 12 months of Total Choice programming. It's even prorated based on the number of months remaining in your commitment.

Considering that, I'd say my assumption about DirecTV's intention is the correct one. Moreso if there's no regular termination fee from Pegasus if you're not obligated under a programming commitment. Otherwise why mention it at all if such a regular termination fee doesn't exist?

The only people who can answer it conclusively would be DirecTV, if you can actually get someone there to answer it, then to stick to their answer when you get that final billing with the fee.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would be happy to - but absent any indication to the contrary, I'll bet you get socked with an "Early Termination Fee" that you will NOT get reimbused by D* for, not necessarily more programming fees.

18. dswallow

dswallow Godfather

Mar 31, 2003
    I don't quite get why you're so certain; when nothing says that, and everything says it'll be reimbursed. At the very least, it'd be something to ask specifically about at DirecTV, but for all the headache Pegasus has caused people over the years, suggesting they just wait even longer seems like a bad move.

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Doug - ALL of them (E*, D* and I'd bet P*) have "Early Termination Fees" if you break your contract before your commitment is finished. And I'm saying that I don't think D* will reimburse your P* "Early Termination Fee".

20. Tom Cahill

Tom Cahill Guest

If you return the equipment to Pegasus there should not be an early termination fee at all.Then just call Directv and have them install your new equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.