1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Percentage of Dish subscribers in each package

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pfred, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1 of 20
    pfred

pfred Mentor

Feb 8, 2009
    What percentage of Dish subscribers are in each package? (AT120, AT200, etc...) I am referring to overall, not just this forum.

2. Aug 4, 2011 #2 of 20
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The only source of that information would be DISH. Unless that is released in the stock report I would guess that would be propriatary information.

3. Aug 4, 2011 #3 of 20
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    That information is probably more suitable on a marketing stand point than a technical one. I don't have the answer for that question. Why would you want to know?

4. Aug 4, 2011 #4 of 20
    gpollock87

gpollock87 Legend

Apr 13, 2011
    most people i know that have dish network have either americas top 120 or 250

5. Aug 6, 2011 #5 of 20
    archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Personally I have the first Dish America package. The HD only package. Has most everything i care about and it's cheaper than anyone else.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #6 of 20
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I have the T200 since I like AMC and BBCA. None of the 'Americas' packs have both of those.

I would think the T200 would be the most popular because it is a really good trade-off between channels and cost. But then, the T120+ would be OK too except for people like me that have a couple channels they don't think they can do without.

7. Aug 6, 2011 #7 of 20
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    The lowest I could go was AT120 to keep my HD For Life intact since the bad economy hit us last month.I can only hope things get better so I can afford to add programming.:(

8. Aug 6, 2011 #8 of 20
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I only keep AT 200 for BBCA HD and GSN HD (for the wife).

9. Aug 6, 2011 #9 of 20
    MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    I am sorry and I know how tough things can be right now. I just want you to be aware that the HD Free for Life will remain on the account until the account is disconnected or Auto pay with paperless billing is removed. If you drop your programming to a package without an HD add-on, the tag will remain on the account so when you upgrade to an AT package it will still have the HD Free for Life. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you!

10. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    AT250 here i gotta have FOX SOCCER CHANNEL in HD

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The best information I saw on that was years ago in one of the lawsuits. At the time it was about 4 million customers at each level (now AT120, AT200 and AT250/AEP). As a complete guess I'd say that if any level has grown it would be AT200. DISH claims that AT 200 is the "most popular" programming package. Whether that means five million are at AT200 and four million in each of AT120 and AT250 or a bigger programming swing is not something that DISH has released.

It is a curiosity to see how many people are at each level - but not something that is casually released by any provider.

12. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    I can only tell you what I see. The majority of new customers over the past several years tend to favor AT120 and AT200 over AT250 BY FAR. So AT250 is in third place, and AT120 and AT200 flip between first and second place through out the year. That is on initial activation. DISH America packages are not very common at all.

I think the popularity of those programming packages do not change after 12 months either.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  14. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Thank You Mary B for the information.I believe we have gone as low as we can go for now,but if it gets worse who knows.It is good to know the information you have provided.:)

Thanks again for your consideration and response.:)

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    The only reason I don't have a Dish America package is there are some HD/SD channels that we like to watch that are not in those packages.Think maybe it's setup that way for some reason.;)

16. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I currently have AT250 and have thought about downgrading to AT200, but I figure it is $120/year to keep it and there are several channels that my wife and I watch occasionally to justify the cost. We might change our minds though. It just seems like, especially in the last 6 months, it has been difficult to find much on TV that we like; even with AT250. I think the programmers are seeing how many reruns of crappy cheap to produce shows they can get away with before people stop subscribing and watching.

17. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Along these same lines, I'd like to know how many subs are actually getting their locals in real HD.
    I've heard many people say that they "have HD, but the locals aren't carried in HD", or, "they don't look any better than SD",....then, I find out that they don't have the side-dish for HD anyway.

It's too bad the Cable and sat companies don't have to publish one of those "Statement of Circulation" things, like papers and magazines. It would be interesting to know the numbers....just like the individual stations do with their ratings numbers.

18. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    Upon expiration of new-customer promotional pricing, if customers make any changes at all to their programming, I figure most would tend to downgrade, rather than upgrade.

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    In my household there are three people helping me paying the Dish bill, so I'm lucky:)

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You are a few years out of date. There is no "side dish" for HD. Current installs for the past couple of years have been one dish installs ... especially in the western markets (like yours).

If people are not getting the right satellite for HD locals in your market, they are not getting 80% of the other channels DISH offers in HD.

Right after stations release a statement confirming the highest charge that they get for retransmission consent. None of that "pennies per day" crap some stations push without defining the charge as two pennies per day or ten pennies per day (although "pennies per day" is often used to refer to the increase stations want, not the total payment).

Cable and satellite do publish subscription numbers ... they just don't break it down by neighborhood or package.

BTW: You, as a station, should have access to the numbers for your market - as that subscription number is attached to the retransmission payments your station demands. So if you're really curious I'm sure you could find out.