1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect example of why I quit Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by esl1885, Nov 23, 2013.

1. esl1885

esl1885 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I have been rid of Dish for about 7 weeks now; Moved to cable for way less money for the same channels that we watch.

Today they convinced me I made a good move. Just checked my email and had a message from Dish that my monthly auto pay charge had failed and to please take care of it immediately. I left them owing nothing.As a matter of fact. they should have owed me a couple of dollars. Problems with their auto pay system over the last two years was one of the deciding factors in leaving them.

Fortunately I use credit card where I can use temporary numbers and when the Dish account was closed, I deleted the temp number to prevent just this sort of thing. I can only imagine the fun I would of had getting them to refund the payment.

Sam

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps DIRT members could count the fact

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have been with Dish since 1999. I am very happy with it. There are so many channels Direct TV or local Charter Cable do not have. I went over to do a compare between Direct and Dish a few weeks ago and for what I watch, Dish wins hands down. But everyone has a different line up they like. What works for one, does not work for another.

Patrick

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok I have to admit other than full time rsns I (dtv has more) didn't think dish and DIRECTV really had much different anymore in terms of carriage of channels. Guess I'll have to search and find out what large number of channels dish has that dtv doesn't.

Assuming he's not talking about locals too.

5. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=12pt]Sam,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]We never want to lose a customer for any reason and to better assist you, would you please PM me with the phone number on the account? I will check to make sure there are no lingering charges that are on the account for you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Thanks[/SIZE]

6. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Maybe I'm being too obvious but I'm wondering if their attempt to refund was what failed.

For what it's worth, I run a small web business and I have had many experiences where a credit card failed to go through and it turned out to be a temporary number. The customer normally believes they did everything right but one way or another, these temp numbers seem to be much more "glitchy" than regular credit cards.

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The Blockbuster pak has several channels Direct does not have and also Dish still has the Super Stations.

Patrick

8. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    But you can not add the super stations anymore ! I used to see them as options, not now. Advantage - not me!

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, I heard Dish have the Supers grandfathered in now. That concerns me, as we may lose them in time. The super stations are a great addition and I would hate to lose them. I have had them since the days of my big dish going back to 1985 or 1986.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The Supers long ago lost any appeal to me. They're not HD (strike one - especially since my local CW is HD and one of the supers is local to me AND in HD), DVRs now have more than one tuner so I don't need a west coast feed of a network (strike two), and they're mostly the same programming - no variety with nothing I really want (strike three)

1 person likes this.
  11. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I am completely amazed when someone will write about their great savings by switching to another service. Each time I have gone and looked at either my local cable company, Charter, or Direct, it would cost me more than I am paying now and that is with the special promo pricing they often offer. I have a 922 that serves my two televisions and I am paying $55 and change per month. None can come close to that and after the promos, forget about it!

12. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I'm paying almost that in fees! 2H/3J and DPP put me close.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I am a news junkie and I really like watching the local news from LA, NY, and Chicago. I used to work in broadcasting. The TV I use is not bad in SD. I love having the Super Stations. I wish there were more of them.

14. joetex

joetex Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Same here, love the out of town news from the superstations with Dish. By the time I wake up in NY, most of the hard news is gone from the local news broadcasts and the last two hours of Fox 5 and last hour of WPIX news is mainly comprised of feature stories, celeb interviews, etc.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I love the Blockbuster Channels. I canceled STARZ.

16. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The Blockbuster pack has a lot of interesting channels and so many of the movies they run are not available elsewhere.

17. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Me too, but I think promos are more commonly aimed at bigger TV spenders than you or I. I've had comcast/xfinity/fios people coming to my place and asking what I pay for TV, internet, and phone, and then they offer me a bundled deal that has a special limited-time price of more than I'm currently paying. That's always a hoot!

18. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I am 100000% in agreement, and have posted that in the past. Virtually never is it less with Cable, close but usually more with Direct. (Not including any promo period) The OP did say for the channels he watches, so it is possible a particular configuration with someone else allows him to get a lower package. But even at that, Charter for instance charges for the first receiver, and for DVR service $21 for up to four rooms. BUT it's also $21 for two rooms. All that adds up fast and any savings is long gone. That's just an example people fail to note when they say they are paying less. I also be suspicious when it's "Way Less." If it was way less everyone would get it.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I recently went with Charter cable for internet and phone, as I did not have high speed and my Century Link phone line had no long distance included, I did not take their TV service, as Dish beats them hands down. But the internet and phone with unlimited long distance for $59.95 a month is a pretty good deal. The unlimited long distance also includes Canada.

20. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    This what I did as well. I would have to have Charter's top tier to get the channels I currently have now and that is far more expensive after the special promo expires, hell, it is $5 more with the promo!