1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance of H/R24's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BadCommand, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BadCommand

BadCommand Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Just about ready to pull the trigger on upgrading all my receivers after tech upgraded 2 of my HR20's yesterday to HR24's.

My question has to do with MRV performance however.

I was in the MRV beta last year and with my mix of (5) HR20's, (2) HR21's & (1) HR22, what I saw was pretty slow Guide & Recorded Show List performance.

I realized at the time this was a 2 fold issue in that I was running older receivers, and all 8 of those receivers were DVR's.

So now if I go to a mix of say 2 or 3 HR24's and 5 or 6 H24's should I see good performance scrolling through the guide and recorded list?

Also, would I benefit from having full DECA install (installer also upgraded my entire system to SWM yesterday) or will my gigE network suffice? I stream uncompressed bluray content across if without issues, so it is fairly robust.

Thanks

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Your current network setup should be fine and I don't think you'll get any performance increase by upgrading to DECA. Obviously (as you seem to already know) your setup is "unsupported" and if there are any issues it's up to you to fix them. If you were on DECA then you'd get support in the case of issues.

As far as performance between older HRs and newer... I use an H24, HR24, HR20 and HR21 and use MRV all the time between them. I don't notice any speed differences in scrolling through the guide. That's not to say that they may not exist, but I don't notice anything.

Welcome to DBSTalk!

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think", generally a good ethernet can perform as well as DECA.
    I'm all DECA, myself, and I'm not quite sure of your question.
    When I bring up my playlist, there are times where it needs to update, which will take a few moments.
    Guide scrolling has nothing to do with anything but the receiver.
    Starting a MRV recording can also take a few moments longer than a local recording. Trickplay seems about the same as local.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I tend to be of the opinion that all things being equal, a 100% HR24-based coax-network MRV solution would be the best; that the MRV data would be shielded from the rest of the traffic on the LAN and would travel pathways designed for this sort of traffic. But honestly with a good 1000BaseT network you've got so much headroom in a home LAN that I don't think it would make much difference.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I've found ethernet vs. DECA performance to be the same. That said, sounds like you have lots of potential viewing locations, so I'd say the answer depends on how folks in the home may be viewing simultaneous MRV streams. The HR2x's CAT5 ports are limited to 100 mbps. DECA can handle more than twice that. Figure up to 20 mbps needed for each stream, if OTA is in the mix.

6. BadCommand

BadCommand Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Thanks for all the helpful responses & the welcome :)

Sounds like a close call on the DECA. I'm leaning towards going the DECA route now based on potential concerns being suggested here- overall support issues & potential gigE net bandwidth utilization. I would prefer to keep DTV traffic off the gigE net due to saturation with bluray streaming.

veryoldschool- keep in mind this was the beta, so not sure if anything new has been implemented, but from the moment I joined rooms in MRV sharing- all my boxes slowed down. Even directly inputting just a channel # outside of the Guide or List view was laggy. Not all the time, but enough that it had others in the house noticing it. I had attributed it ATT to MRV being beta and also I supposed the MRV system was made for having just 2 or 3 DVR's- not 8 :lol: And a relatively slow 8 at that.

Based on everyone's responses it sounds like this is a go and should work well- so I'll schedule up a DTV MRV install.

Thanks again.

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with either route, but you get that added benefit of "support" by going DECA.

Also, what Steve mentioned above about the bandwidth limits is a worthy consideration as well, especially since you have so many boxes.

Good luck!

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    We've all seen how the receiver's speed will go up & down during various versions of the software.
    I doubt MRV really had anything to do with it.
    I've been on DECA for almost 2 years and find it works well. I just wanted to point out a few of my "wait a moment" though.