1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periodic loss of some HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vev46, Dec 5, 2008.

1. vev46

vev46 New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I periodically lose many of my HD channels (H20 receiver, Slimline 5LNB dish). In checking my signal strengths in Antenna Setup, I notice that when this loss happens, I have 0 signal strength on sat 119, transponders 22,24,26,28,30, & 32. The others have OK levels, except for transponder 29, which is in the 50's. (Transp. 29 is always low like this). When all my HD channels are OK, none of the active transponders (22 through 32) on sat 119, is 0. This seems to happen most often at night, when the temperatures are colder, and it was not happening until the cold weather began a few weeks ago. I can understand the signals getting lower because of some temperature effect to the LNB, but I don't understand ZERO strength. I am tempted to call DTV to ask if they have other reports of similar nature, but I'm trying this forum first. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If this is happening only when it gets below freezing it's a bad LNB. I've had it happen more then once over the years. Get a new LNB and you should be fine.

3. vev46

vev46 New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Getting a replacement LNB had turned out to be more difficult that I expected. I would appreciate a good source for this.

4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Tell the CSR you are currently getting 0s or a number below 70 for a satellite.
    All the new HD(mpeg 4) is on satellites 99 and 103, What's your signals on those 2satellites?

5. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    I had this issue when it was just cloudy and light rain. ESPN, ESPN2 and TNT (all HD) would go out or pixalate (sp). Anyway I had to have a relaignment and not is works great. I called D on a friday and got someone out on the following tues. My sig on 103 was 45% on a sunny day. Now it is up to 75-85%.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Many H20-600s were recalled. Now they appear to be handling this on a case-by-case basis, but it could be a bad receiver.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, if you're not a "do it yourself" type then basically do as suggested and call up DirecTV and tell them your signal is 0 and they'll send someone out to replace the dish (hopefully).

If you're like me and can do things myself, and thus don't have the protection plan, then I just bought a new Slimline myself at Solid Signal and replaced the dish myself. Cost of the dish is about the same as a year of protection plan and I didn't have to deal with DirecTV CSR hell. First $$ I've spent in about 5 years to fix equipment so I'm ahead on moola. :)

Not sure if you can get just an LNB but contact Solid Signal or Sadoun and see if they can sell you just an LNB. Might find one on eBay as well (although be careful of course).